IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.5.5 drives innovation for hybrid applications through ease of connecting and integrating cloud services.
As organizations move to cloud computing as a means to help create more efficient and cost-effective data centers, they recognize that it is impossible and impractical to quickly accommodate all business needs at the same speed and with the same priority. The emerging application workloads that consist of cloud, mobile, and social applications require much greater speed and agility to keep pace with the evolving landscape than the traditional enterprise workloads. CIOs must balance the needs of mission-critical systems and fast-paced new development of cloud and mobile applications. This drives the requirement for IT to support multispeed capabilities that enable the delivery of diverse business requirements at speeds that offer optimal business outcome. Hybrid enterprise applications, which strive to deliver a considerable competitive advantage for the businesses in the API economy, place new requirements on IT to support environments that enable on-premises applications to securely and easily connect to and from hosted, value-added cloud services.
IBM® WebSphere® Application Server Liberty V8.5.5, with its lightweight and composable characteristics, delivers several new features to simplify your organization's movement to the cloud:
- Liberty quick start tool that helps accelerate development of new applications to support new architectures, such as microservices, and eases deployment to Bluemix®
- Best practices and methodologies to refactor Java™ app components into microservices to meet requirements of cloud, mobile, and social workloads
- Tools to enable publishing, consuming, and managing APIs that use integrated API Connect services to allow participation in the API economy to reach new clients
- Ease of integrating Watson™ cognitive capabilities to Java apps to help make better business decisions
- Ease of enhancing existing applications through the use of rich features and fully managed cloud data services without the cost, complexity, and risk of managing your own infrastructure
- Ease of optimizing existing Java applications that allow adoption of a pay-as-you-go model to optimize cost by moving applications to cloud without changes
WebSphere Application Server V8.5.5 traditional, also known as WebSphere full profile, is now enhanced to support Java Platform, Standard Edition 8 (Java SE 8). Java SE 8 is already supported for WebSphere Application Server Liberty. Delivery of this feature fulfils the previously announced Statement of general direction in Software Announcement 215-417, dated September 1, 2015.
The WebSphere Application Server V9.0 beta is updated for download and testing. This is in addition to the existing preconfigured service hosted on IBM Bluemix. The beta is also refreshed with additional Java EE 7 features.
Find out more here.