October 21, 2016
• LEAD ARTICLE: Tightening IBM i Security with Little Fear of Breakage
• FEATURED ARTICLE: RPG Fundamentals Tip #2: Working with Linear Main Programs
• NEWS HIGHLIGHT: Software AG Launches Open Source Internet of Things Analytics Kit
• WHITE PAPER: IBM i Security: Event Logging & Active Monitoring
• EVENT: Enforce IBM i Security Policies Automatically
Carol describes five IBM i security settings that eliminate exposures and can be changed with very little risk of breaking anything.
Written by Carol Woodbury
I know that many of you feel handcuffed. You want to make changes to improve your IBM i security posture, but your organization is so risk averse that it’s almost impossible to make changes that have the possibility of breaking a production process. While I can’t guarantee that these changes will not cause an issue, it’s unlikely that they will.
Barcode400 Version 4.0 is the best software yet for designing and printing bar code labels from the IBM i.
- Easy Design with a Graphical Interface using IBM i Files.
- IBM i Power - Barcode400 resides on the IBM i. Label formats are stored on the IBM i.
- Many Ways to print - Print stand-alone from your desktop, or completely automate label printing by integrating into your application software. No Programming Required! The Power is in your hands.
- Print to hundreds of thermal transfer printers and HP and compatible printers.
- Output your labels as PDF documents.
- Customer Support - Easily accessible and committed to making your experience with us as productive as possible.
Calling all CDOs! Here’s a playbook for your newly created role! Every chief data officer needs this practical guide to help you manage your data governance program. Data governance guru Sunil Soares walks you through the CDO’s role and provides valuable industry insight into the CDO reporting relationship, scope and authority level, and alignment with the CIO role. You’ll explore data policies, standards, and processes and learn approaches to monitoring and enforcing compliance. Get your copy today!
Now available at a special price! One of our most popular certification study guides, DB2 10 for z/OS Database Administration, prepares you for IBM Certification Exam 612 like nothing else can. This is a comprehensive review, written by two members of the test creation team, which walks you through all areas covered on the exam. You’ll get tips on working with DB2 for z/OS and new information about Version 10. Includes an 85-question practice exam complete with detailed answers.
Unlike cycle main programs, linear main programs do not include the RPG cycle.
Written by Bryan Meyers and Jim Buck
Editor’s note: This article is excerpted from Programming in ILE RPG, Fifth Edition, chapter 14, “Building Modular Programs with Procedures.”
RPG supports a second type of program (as an alternative to cycle main programs) that does not include the RPG cycle. A linear main program explicitly names a procedure to be the main procedure for the program. A linear main program includes a Ctl-opt instruction with the Main keyword to name the main procedure: