July 11, 2018
- LEAD ARTICLE: Practical RDi: Manipulating Timestamps
- FEATURED ARTICLE: RPG Academy: Debug Done Right – Debugging Batch Jobs
- FEATURED ARTICLE: Using Keys and Output Opcodes in /Free ILE RPG
- NEWS HIGHLIGHT: IBM and Banca Carige, Launch Dock: $500M Agreement Helping Drive Digital Transformation with Artificial Intelligence
- TRIAL SOFTWARE: TRY the Package That Solves Document Design & Printing Challenges on All Platforms
- FEATURED VIDEO: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
- EVENT: OCEAN TechCon18 - Modernize & Revitalize All Aspects of IT!
Timestamps support flexible date arithmetic, which you can see in this practical example of a task scheduler.
By Joe Pluta
Today's article is going to be very practical indeed! We're going to use timestamps to perform some common business functions and, in so doing, learn a number of simple but effective techniques for working with these versatile variables. This is a real-world example; I am currently running a scheduler using exactly this design.
TODAY: Introducing Profound UI Version 6 - Register Now
You may say I left the best for last. Here’s how to do something impossible for the “old” ISDB: debug batch jobs!
By Rafael Victória-Pereira
One of the main advantages of the ILE debugger over its older brother, the ISDB, is the ability to debug batch jobs. Over the last TechTips, I’ve shown a few other functionalities that are way better than what the ISDB has to offer, and most of them are easy to use. Unfortunately, debugging a batch job is not as simple as debugging an interactive job; you need to take some additional steps to “catch” the batch-running program in the right moment. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
Learn to work with keys and output opcodes, two important options for handling files in your /Free ILE RPG programs
by David Shirey
Editor’s Note: This article is excerpted from chapter 6 of 21st Century RPG: /Free, ILE, and MVC, by David Shirey.
Some things in /Free have not changed from fixed format, like the opcode names for the database I/O: READ, READE, READP, READPE, CHAIN, SETLL, SETGT, UPDATE, WRITE, and DELETE.