January 3, 2018
- LEAD ARTICLE: Practical RPG: A Utility Program to Build On
- FEATURED ARTICLE: RPG Academy: Debug Done Right - A Step-by-Step Debug Session, Part 1
- FEATURED ARTICLE: 2017 State of IBM i Modernization
- NEWS HIGHLIGHT: Priceline.com And IBM Settle Patent Lawsuits
- TRIAL SOFTWARE: TRY the one package that solves all your document design and printing challenges on all your platforms.
- FEATURED VIDEO: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
- EVENT: OCEAN Annual January Kick Off to a Great Year of Education with Steve Will & Kevin Adler
- MC PRESS MAGAZINE: A Small Intro to Big Data, Part 3: HFDS and the MapReduce Algorithm
This simple utility provides a practical example of tying together several IBM i features in a way you can use moving forward.
Written by Joe Pluta
In recent articles, we've focused on APIs. Prior to that, we explored a lot of techniques involving embedded SQL. We've also looked at some of the new DB2 services that provide system information in tables. This article will tie all of those together with a mythical ERP system to make a quick and easy utility.
Now that you know nearly all the theory needed to perform an efficient debug session, let me guide you on a step-by-step debug session.
Written by Rafael Victoria-Pereira
If you haven't done so, download and restore the programs created back in the "BIF Up Your Code"' subseries, as they'll be used for this guided debug session. You can find the respective save file here.
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
The IBM i (aka AS/400 and iSeries) market has seen some remarkable changes over the last decade. New capabilities, including graphical user interfaces and support of open source languages, have ensured that the platform is more than capable of supporting the needs of today's businesses.
by Profound Logic Software, Inc.
However, the use of these modern capabilities on IBM i varies from business to business. "Modernization", the umbrella term for utilizing the newest capabilities on IBM i - including transitioning from green screens to web GUIs, and updating legacy RPG source code to a newer format or open source language - has not been universally embraced.