March 7, 2018
- LEAD ARTICLE: Practical RDi: Exploring RDi 9.6, Part 1
- FEATURED ARTICLE: RPG Academy: Debug Done Right - You Can Debug Anything!
- FEATURED ARTICLE: ILE Tutorial: How to Use Embedded Sub-Procedures Within a Program
- NEWS HIGHLIGHT: Kisco Announces Update For IBM i System Monitoring Tool
- WEBCAST: Make Modern Apps You'll Love with Profound UI & Profound.js
- FEATURED VIDEO: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
- EVENT: RPG & DB2 Summit 2018
- MC PRESS MAGAZINE: A Small Intro to Big Data, Part 3: HFDS and the MapReduce Algorithm
Version 9.6 of RDi provides a wealth of enhancements and new features; this article introduces some powerful new editor functionality.
By Joe Pluta
RDi is a fantastic tool for RPG development. Since its earliest days as WDSC (or however you choose to capitalize the acronym), the Eclipse-based development suite has been one of the premier productivity tools for IBM midrange developers. While the road has had a few bumpy little detours, each step along the journey has been better than the previous one, and version 9.6 is no exception.
With the ILE Debugger, you can debug anything. This TechTip will explain how to debug service programs, OPM RPG, and CL programs!
By Rafael Victoria-Pereira
You already know it's possible to debug a service program by adding it to the Working with Modules window via F14 during the debug session, as I explained a few TechTips ago. What you might not know is that you can also do it directly from the STRDBG command. It's simply a question of specifying the service program name in the appropriate parameter.
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
Say goodbye to old RPG subroutines, and get to know ILE RPG's powerful sub-procedures
by David Shirey
Editor's Note: This article is excerpted from chapter 7 of 21st Century RPG: /Free, ILE, and MVC, by David Shirey.
The idea behind a sub-procedure is simple: take some code lines that are doing a particular task, take them out of the mainline code, and put them in a little spot of their own. Very similar to subroutines. But there are some major differences.