August 16, 2017
• LEAD ARTICLE: How Small Businesses Can Harness IBM Watson
• FEATURED ARTICLE: Watson for i: Watson Can Help Forge Links in Your Supply Chain
• FEATURED ARTICLE: Moving Applications to the Cloud? You Need a Strategy First
• NEWS HIGHLIGHT: Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International Taps IBM Watson Capabilities to Evaluate and Report on Emergency Calls
• WHITE PAPER: White Paper: Node.js for Enterprise IBM i Modernization
• FEATURED VIDEO: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
• EVENT: COMMON Fall Conference & Expo
• MC PRESS MAGAZINE: Enriching the IBM i Community with Open Source
IBM Watson APIs are more accessible than you think. The trick is just how creative you can be.
By Steve Pitcher
I don’t like the fantasy genre. I mean I really don’t like it. I fell asleep during The Lord of the Rings in the theater. I smiled and winced through every Harry Potter film because my wife and kids love it. The closest I come to fantasy would be The Princess Bride, and that’s only because I saw it as a kid and it stuck with me. It’s pretty campy, but I love Christopher Guest. Plus Mandy Patinkin’s line: “My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!” That’s so cheesy that it works.
The IBM umbrella of supply chain services includes more than a dozen options, some of which are Watson-specific. Here’s a breakdown of the major features of each service.
By John Ghrist
In 2010, IBM acquired Sterling Commerce from AT&T as a way to expand the products and services it could offer for supply-chain operations. Today, with supply-chain-service additions under its Watson brand, IBM offers 15 cloud-based SaaS solutions to help enterprises with supply-chain tasks.
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
First steps to a successful cloud migration: know the cloud’s risks and how it will fit in the enterprise’s IT structure
by Graham Williamson
Editor’ note: This chapter is excerpted from chapter 5 of Identity Management: A Business Perspective (MC Press, 2016).
The cloud provides an ideal opportunity for organizations to rethink their identity management (IdM) environment and plan an approach that will not only allow them to manage their cloud-based future but also exploit the capabilities of the cloud to drive an innovative and agile organization.