December 20, 2017
- LEAD ARTICLE: The DR Plan That Went Wrong
- FEATURED ARTICLE: Watson for i: Watson Discovery Can Help You Build Your Own Content Analyzer
- FEATURED ARTICLE: Three Compelling Drivers for Implementing an HA Solution on an IBM i Cloud with MIMIX
- NEWS HIGHLIGHT: HelpSystems Acquires Fox Technologies to Expand Cybersecurity Portfolio
- WHITE PAPER: IBM i Security: Event Logging & Active Monitoring
- FEATURED VIDEO: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
- EVENT: OCEAN Annual January Kick Off to a Great Year of Education with Steve Will & Kevin Adler
- MC PRESS MAGAZINE: A Small Intro to Big Data, Part 3: HFDS and the MapReduce Algorithm
The trick with any recovery is to expect the unexpected.
By Steve Pitcher
It was Friday morning at ABC Widget Manufacturing Company, and things were business as usual. The machines were humming, and the accountants were accounting. Everyone was typing away at their green-screen terminals with thoughts of a wonderful weekend ahead.
To understand how IBM Watson Discovery's services can help any enterprise gain business insights, it's necessary to comprehend its capabilities in detail.
By John Ghrist
One of the core assets of IBM's entire Watson program is the ability to use Artificial Intelligence (AI) to sort through masses of data to come up quickly with insights it could take a human mind much longer to perceive. Previously, data analysis required structured data, such as a database, to provide the input from which insights might be gleaned, but Watson can also handle unstructured data (e.g., from videos, emails, and text documents). This ability means at least one of Watson's core products, called Discovery, has the advantage of being able to use as input data from just about anywhere.
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
The emergence of the IBM i Cloud along with dramatic changes in costs have made downtime-reducing solutions accessible for companies of all sizes.
by Connectria Hosting
Editor's note: This article introduces the white paper 3 Compelling Drivers for Implementing an HA Solution on an IBM i Cloud with MIMIX, which is free to download from the MC White Paper Center.
Until recently, high availability solutions for IBM Power Systems servers running IBM i were reserved mostly for larger enterprises with on-premise or dedicated hosting solutions. Given the emergence of the IBM i Cloud, high availability is now dramatically easier to use and a less expensive alternative for organizations of all sizes. Today, just about anyone running an IBM i environment can now afford the â€œluxuryâ€ of real-time, offsite data protection, as well as rapid and complete data recovery in the Cloud.