January 17, 2018
- LEAD ARTICLE: A New IDE for Your RPG
- FEATURED ARTICLE: Watson for i: Watson Education Can Bolster Employee Training and Skill Tracking
- FEATURED ARTICLE: Three Compelling Drivers for Implementing an HA Solution on an IBM i Cloud with MIMIX
- NEWS HIGHLIGHT: IBM Helping to Increase Volunteer Impact in Schools
- WEBCAST: Profound UI: Unlock True Modernization from your IBM i Enterprise
- FEATURED VIDEO: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
- EVENT: i Can innovate at NEUGC!
- MC PRESS MAGAZINE: A Small Intro to Big Data, Part 3: HFDS and the MapReduce Algorithm
ILEditor gains some traction and goes open source.
By Steve Pitcher
Way back in May of 2017, I wrote a piece called "What I Learned at the Spring COMMON Conference 2017" in which I touched on the need for a more lightweight Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for IBM i. My simple gripe is that I don't want to be bound by the limitations of SEU or the learning curve, price, and sheer size of RDi. I'm primarily a sys admin, but I do need to edit and compile some RPG and CL from time to time. When I do, I want to do it with a little more functionality and style than SEU.
Although designed primarily with educational institutions in mind, IBM Watson Education provides useful elements that can help improve job training efforts for corporate employees.
By John Ghrist
Although it's another of the Watson solutions that is relatively obscured by not being tied directly to IBM Watson's online product pages, IBM Watson Education is part of the Watson family of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) offerings that has potential for use beyond K-12 and college-level learning environments. In fact, it includes tools that could help organize and improve job training and experience tracking for all employees in enterprise environments.
Live Webinar: Make Modern Apps You'll Love with
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
Ted Holt explains how to use the trim, type-conversion, and case-conversion functions in your IBM i CL programs
by Ted Holt.
Editor's note: This article is excerpted from chapter 4 of Complete CL: Sixth Edition.
This article explains some of the various manipulations you can perform in CL to combine two or more constant or variable values: specifically, the trim, type-conversion, and case-conversion functions.