March 21, 2018
- LEAD ARTICLE: New POWER9 Systems and IBM i 7.3 Updates Announced
- FEATURED ARTICLE: Watson for i: Watson Conversation Can Generate Chatbots and Virtual Agents for Your Business, Part I
- FEATURED ARTICLE: 2017 State of IBM i Modernization
- NEWS HIGHLIGHT: IBM Study: Responding to Cybersecurity Incidents Still a Major Challenge for Businesses
- WEBCAST: Make Modern Apps You'll Love with Profound UI & Profound.js
- FEATURED VIDEO: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
- EVENT: i Can innovate at NEUGC!
- MC PRESS MAGAZINE: A Small Intro to Big Data, Part 3: HFDS and the MapReduce Algorithm
If you're on older iron, then the combination of POWER9 and IBM i 7.3 is your path forward.
By Steve Pitcher
On February 13, 2018, IBM announced the new POWER9 systems. Of course, we knew this would be coming soon as IBM announced the initial POWER9 offerings for Linux back in December. There's a whole lot to cover, so we'll start with the speeds and feeds of the new POWER9 iron.
Watson for i: Watson Conversation Can Generate Chatbots and Virtual Agents for Your Business, Part I
Watson Conversation lets you build intelligent apps that can handle customer orders and queries for websites and customer services.
By John Ghrist
By using its combination of speech-to-text and natural-language comprehension skills, Watson Conversation is capable of helping create chat applications and virtual customer service agents that can handle many routine operations in those areas. This two-part series will focus first on Watson Conversation's attributes and some potential applications. The second installment will cover Watson Virtual Agent and explain how applications using that cloud service can improve customer services such as telephone support.
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
The IBM i (aka AS/400 and iSeries) market has seen some remarkable changes over the last decade. New capabilities, including graphical user interfaces and support of open source languages, have ensured that the platform is more than capable of supporting the needs of today's businesses.
by Profound Logic Software, Inc.
However, the use of these modern capabilities on IBM i varies from business to business. "Modernization", the umbrella term for utilizing the newest capabilities on IBM i - including transitioning from green screens to web GUIs, and updating legacy RPG source code to a newer format or open source language - has not been universally embraced.