October 18, 2017
• LEAD ARTICLE: End of Support Announced on Popular POWER7 Machines
• FEATURED ARTICLE: Watson for i: Watson Cashes In on Financial Services
• FEATURED ARTICLE: 5 Building Blocks of a Successful Data Governance Program
• NEWS HIGHLIGHT: HelpSystems’ Fall Fundraiser Generates Record Employee Support for Charitable Causes
• WHITE PAPER: 3 Compelling Drivers for Implementing an HA Solution on an IBM i Cloud with MIMIX
• FEATURED VIDEO: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
• EVENT: TOMORROW: Create IBM i mobile apps with ILE RPG and SQL
• MC PRESS MAGAZINE: The Internet of Things: You’re Already a Part of It
Even though the Power 720 didn’t seem that old, it is.
Written by Steve Pitcher
On September 19, 2017, IBM announced that a number of machines will be going out of maintenance in the next two years. The POWER6 iron is to really be expected; however, the POWER7 iron kind of took me by surprise—specifically, the 8202-E4B and 8202-E4C.
IBM Watson now offers software and cloud services that help financial institutions and other businesses keep on top of a complex web of changing financial regulations.
Written by John Ghrist
Although banks and credit unions may seem to have the lion's share of laws and regulations they must meet in order to be allowed to handle other people's money, every organization has some level of fiduciary responsibilities. Depending on what kind of business in which an enterprise is engaged, the number of rules that have to be followed varies, but the real challenge is keeping up with the ever-changing nature of laws and regulations affecting business practices. IBM is taking a step forward in this area by using Watson to help concerned businesses keep track of these obligations—and other internal activities—to improve their financial operations.
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
Use these guidelines to develop sound data policies for your business
By Sunil Soares
This article is excerpted from The Chief Data Officer Handbook for Data Governance.
Data governance is the formulation of policy to optimize, secure, and leverage information as an enterprise asset by aligning the objectives of multiple functions. By its very nature, data governance requires cross-departmental cooperation to deliver timely, trustworthy data for better decisions.