August 11, 2017
• LEAD ARTICLE: TechTip: Hapi to Authenticate You
• FEATURED ARTICLE: TechTip: How to Get Started with Watson APIs
• FEATURED ARTICLE: Debunking the Fake News Surrounding IBM i Security
• NEWS HIGHLIGHT: IBM Study: 61 Percent of Surveyed CMOs and Sales Leaders Say Cognitive Computing Will Be a Disruptive Force in Their Industries -- But Are They Ready for the Disruption?
• ON-DEMAND WEBCAST: Profound.js 2.0: Extend the Power of Node to your IBM i Applications
• MC VIDEO SHOWCASE: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
• EVENT: Getting Started with IBM i Security: User Privileges
• MC PRESS MAGAZINE: Enriching the IBM i Community with Open Source
This article will teach you how to authenticate with IBM i credentials in a Node.js application using the Hapi framework.
By Aaron Bartell
In the words of Oliver Hardy, "Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." That's what I was saying to myself as the enormity of the code base of this article continued to grow. BTW, if you haven't checked out the "Laurel and Hardy" comedy acts, let's just say you've been missing out. They’re timeless. I grew up watching them with my dad, and my kids can't get enough of them. Hilarious. But I digress.
White Paper: Node.js for Enterprise IBM i Modernization
In the last tip, we finished looking at the Watson products (services) that you can tie into. Now it’s time to look at the APIs that IBM has for Watson and see how you can leverage them.
By Dave Shirey
So far, we have seen the products that IBM Watson supports: Conversation, Discovery, Virtual Agents, and Watson Knowledge Studio. But you can do more than just use services with Watson. You can also do development, creating your own APIs based on models or frameworks that IBM supplies. That’s what we’ll look at now. As with the products, the things you develop take advantage of the DeepQA parallel architecture and Watson’s ability to handle natural language.
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
With so much fake news floating around, I thought I’d take the time to debunk the fake news I hear about IBM i security.
By Carol Woodbury
When I visit new clients, I often find that they have been misguided somewhere along the way and/or are making assumptions about features of IBM i security that were once true but aren’t any longer. This article goes through some of the more common misconceptions I hear.