December 10, 2021
December 10, 2021 | Volume 14 Issue 65
- LEAD ARTICLE: Getting Started: Sections & a Sample of ILE RPG Programs
- FEATURED WHITE PAPER: Progressive Web Apps: Create a Universal Experience Across All Devices
- FEATURED NEWS: IBM Launches New IBM Z and Cloud Modernization Center for Acceleration of Hybrid Cloud
- WHITE PAPER DOWNLOAD: Why Migrate When You Can Modernize?
- WEBCAST LEARNING: The Biggest Mistakes in IBM i Security
- MC VIDEO SHOWCASE: TLAForms - Software to Design and Generate Forms on IBM i
- EVENT: Women in IBM i Virtual Hangout December 2021
Getting Started: Sections & a Sample of ILE RPG Programs
Part one addresses the introduction to the sections of an ILE RPG program. It also illustrates how to write a simple file read/write program by using a procedural approach, as well as how to include comments within your programs as documentation.
By Brian Meyers and Jim Buck
Editor's Note: This article is excerpted from chapter 2 of Programming in ILE RPG, Fifth Edition.
The Sections of an ILE RPG Program
ILE RPG programs consist of four main sections:
- Control options section—provides default options for the program
- Declarations section—identifies and defines the files, variables, and other data items a program is to use
- Main procedure section—details the processes, calculations, and procedures the program is to perform
- Subprocedure section—includes declarations and processes for optional distinct functions (subprocedures) of the RPG program that either the main procedure section or other subprocedures can execute once or many times
ChatGPT recommends a VTL for backup; LaserVault ViTL meets the challenge
Progressive Web Apps: Create a Universal Experience Across All Devices
The web has changed tremendously since its static beginnings. As the face of an online business, a website is built to invite new and internal customers into the world of an organization. However, as time went on, the web lacked the functionality, design, and native features that organizations desired the most, phones became ubiquitous, and mobile applications became a game-changer.
By LANSA, an Idera, Inc. Company
Editor's Note: This article is excerpted from the white paper, Progressive Web Apps: Create a Universal Experience Across All Devices available for download in the MC Press White Paper Center.
Imagine downloading an application to your mobile device and being able to access local device storage, cameras, and Near Field Communications (NFC). So we moved to creating mobile apps, housed in app stores and sometimes limited to the mobile and desktop operating environments that we use on a daily basis. Fast forward to 2020, and a new game-changer has emerged, one whose technology has been around for quite some time, but the guidelines and realizations of possibilities were seldom fused together.
More than ever, there is a demand for IT to deliver innovation.
Your IBM i has been an essential part of your business operations for years. However, your organization may struggle to maintain the current system and implement new projects.
The thousands of customers we've worked with and surveyed state that expectations regarding the digital footprint and vision of the company are not aligned with the current IT environment.Get your copy of this important guide today! Download your copy today!
Supply Chain is becoming increasingly complex and unpredictable. From raw materials for manufacturing to food supply chains, the journey from source to production to delivery to consumers is marred with inefficiencies, manual processes, shortages, recalls, counterfeits, and scandals.
IBM Launches New IBM Z and Cloud Modernization Center for Acceleration of Hybrid Cloud
- Industry's definitive portfolio for modernization of IBM Z-based enterprise applications and data
- Inaugural Center partners include Capgemini, Deloitte Consulting LLP, Episode Six, Fiorano Software, Fujitsu Limited, Software Business Unit, HEXANIKA, Illumio, Luxoft, a DXC Technology Company, MuleSoft, Pennant Technologies, Software AG, Suntec Business Solutions and Zafin.
By IBM Corporation
IBM today unveiled the IBM Z and Cloud Modernization Center, a digital front door to a vast array of tools, training, resources and ecosystem partners to help IBM Z clients accelerate the modernization of their applications, data and processes in an open hybrid cloud architecture.
MC Press Online