January 12, 2018
- LEAD ARTICLE: TechTip: SQL2XLSX Now Climbs to the Summit of One Million Rows
- FEATURED ARTICLE: Things You Hope Your Auditor Never Understands About IBM i Security
- FEATURED ARTICLE: IBM i Security Event Logging and Active Monitoring: A Step by Step Guide
- NEWS HIGHLIGHT: RPG & DB2 Summit Opens Up Schedule for Several New Sessions in March
- WHITE PAPER: 2017 State of IBM i Modernization White Paper
- MC VIDEO SHOWCASE: Design an Invoice in 10 Minutes
- EVENT: OCEAN Annual January Kick Off to a Great Year of Education with Steve Will & Kevin Adler
- MC PRESS MAGAZINE: A Small Intro to Big Data, Part 3: HFDS and the MapReduce Algorithm
Let's continue our exploration of how to build very large spreadsheets.
By Giuseppe Costagliola
As I promised in my previous article, "TechTip: SQL2XLSX - The Starter Kit," I'm back to present an enhanced version of the utility that I hope you find useful.
It's a well-known fact that many auditors aren't knowledgeable about IBM i. But they're learning! Here are several IBM i configuration settings that you'd better hope your auditor never fully understands.
By Carol Woodbury
Because auditors aren't usually IBM i-savvy, administrators will often choose a configuration or provide an answer that, if fully understood by their auditor, would never be allowed. Here are some of the things that fall into that category. And yes, I'm hoping that your auditor reads this article!
After surveying 500+ IBM i professionals, we discovered:
- The state of IBM i modernization in today's businesses and their goals for the future
- The effect legacy applications have on the businesses' internal and external processes
- The #1 concern upper managers have with the IBM i, and how to combat it
...and much much more!
Download your copy of The 2017 State of IBM i Modernization today.
1. Affordable Cloud Solutions
2. Efficiencies of MIMIX
3. Rising Cost of Downtime
This collaborative effort from Connectria Hostingand Vision Solutions will provide a review of the core causes and costs of both planned and unplanned downtime and will then provide a detailed discussion of current options for IBM i High Availability and Disaster Recovery in the Cloud.
Most importantly, as you read you will learn why true HA and DR protection are now within reach of even the smallest of businesses.
Protecting your organization from cyberthreats has never been more important—or more difficult.
In 2018, HelpSystems surveyed more than 600 IT and cybersecurity professionals to find out what security exploits loom largest and what strategies they’re turning to for protection.
Watch to learn about:
- Security strategies your peers are most interested in implementing
- How managers and executives prioritize security
- Who is responsible for cybersecurity at organizations around the world
- Where IT pros turn for assistance with security
You'll also get practical tips for using this data to drive cybersecurity conversations at your organization.
It's time to make your apps proud to be seen! Whether you have green screens or a drab GUI, your outdated apps can benefit from modern source code, modern GUIs, and modern tools. Alex Roytman and Liam Allan show you how Free-format RPG and Node.js make it possible to deliver apps your business will love.
You'll learn how you can use both Profound UI and Profound.js to: Transform legacy RPG code to modern free-format RPG and Node.js; Deliver truly modern application interfaces with Profound UI; Extend your RPG applications to include Web Services and NPM packages with Node.js.
ACO MONITOR is a complete systems management solution for your Power Systems running IBM i. ACO MONITOR manages your Power System 24/7, uses advanced technology (like two-way messaging) to notify on-duty support personnel, and responds to complex problems before they reach critical status.
ACO MONITOR is proven technology and is capable of processing thousands of mission-critical events daily. The software is pre-configured, easy to install, scalable, and greatly improves data center (and staff) efficiency.
Produce bar code labels, electronic forms, ad hoc reports, and RFID tags – without programming! MarkMagic is the only document design and print solution that combines report writing, WYSIWYG label and forms design, and conditional printing in one integrated product. Why support 5 different products, when you can do it all with MarkMagic?
Active monitoring and log collection are at the top of the list of effective security controls. IBM i (AS/400, iSeries) users have to solve some special challenges to implement this critical security control.
by Townsend Security
Editor's note: This article introduces the white paper , which is free to download from the MC White Paper Center.
IBM i customers often run multiple back-office applications on the IBM i server and it is a well-known repository for sensitive information and an active target of cyber criminals and state actors. In this eBook we discuss the core requirements for a successful active monitoring strategy, how to identify sources of security information on the IBM i platform, and steps you can take to implement an IBM i active monitoring solution.