The Open Dialog has disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open Dialog has disappeared

I'm trying to open a new source member from Code Editor. I already have several open. When I click File/Open for Browse from any of the open Code Editor panels, the panel loses focus and nothing happens. A related problem is that when I try to close one of the panels, I get a message that says: Cannot exit the edit sesssion, an existing edit function is still running. I've tried all the means of skipping between applications and cannot for the life of me find the file open dialog that seems to be causing the issue. It appears that the file open dialog failed to display, but the dialog application is still running. I'm at WDT 5.1 SP5. Interestingly, I can save from the one edit session I have open for change.

Dan, I've had this problem in the past, and have narrowed it down to having the 'Search' dialog open. Closing the 'Search' dialog has always taken care of the problem for me. John. "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message news:adgqkn$13kk$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > I'm trying to open a new source member from Code Editor. I already have > several open. When I click File/Open for Browse from any of the open Code > Editor panels, the panel loses focus and nothing happens. > > A related problem is that when I try to close one of the panels, I get a > message that says: Cannot exit the edit sesssion, an existing edit function > is still running. I've tried all the means of skipping between applications > and cannot for the life of me find the file open dialog that seems to be > causing the issue. > > It appears that the file open dialog failed to display, but the dialog > application is still running. > > I'm at WDT 5.1 SP5. > > Interestingly, I can save from the one edit session I have open for change. > >

Comment

That's just it... the search dialog has disappeared. "John Joiner" wrote in message news:adgsov$12si$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > Dan, > > I've had this problem in the past, and have narrowed it down to having the > 'Search' dialog open. Closing the 'Search' dialog has always taken care of > the problem for me. > > John. > > "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message > news:adgqkn$13kk$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > I'm trying to open a new source member from Code Editor. I already have > > several open. When I click File/Open for Browse from any of the open Code > > Editor panels, the panel loses focus and nothing happens. > > > > A related problem is that when I try to close one of the panels, I get a > > message that says: Cannot exit the edit sesssion, an existing edit > function > > is still running. I've tried all the means of skipping between > applications > > and cannot for the life of me find the file open dialog that seems to be > > causing the issue. > > > > It appears that the file open dialog failed to display, but the dialog > > application is still running. > > > > I'm at WDT 5.1 SP5. > > > > Interestingly, I can save from the one edit session I have open for > change. > > > > > >

Comment

Dan, Did the 'File Open/Browse' dialog disappear, or the 'Search' dialog? I understood the question to be that the 'File Open/Browse' dialog disappeared, and my response was to check that the 'Search' dialog was not open. Sorry if I misunderstood the problem. JJ "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message news:adih76$1aig$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > That's just it... the search dialog has disappeared. > > > "John Joiner" wrote in message > news:adgsov$12si$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > Dan, > > > > I've had this problem in the past, and have narrowed it down to having the > > 'Search' dialog open. Closing the 'Search' dialog has always taken care of > > the problem for me. > > > > John. > > > > "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message > > news:adgqkn$13kk$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > > I'm trying to open a new source member from Code Editor. I already have > > > several open. When I click File/Open for Browse from any of the open > Code > > > Editor panels, the panel loses focus and nothing happens. > > > > > > A related problem is that when I try to close one of the panels, I get a > > > message that says: Cannot exit the edit sesssion, an existing edit > > function > > > is still running. I've tried all the means of skipping between > > applications > > > and cannot for the life of me find the file open dialog that seems to be > > > causing the issue. > > > > > > It appears that the file open dialog failed to display, but the dialog > > > application is still running. > > > > > > I'm at WDT 5.1 SP5. > > > > > > Interestingly, I can save from the one edit session I have open for > > change. > > > > > > > > > > > >

Comment

I don't know that there is a difference. There's only one dialog open from File/ Open for Browse. That dialog permits searching for files. There are no other dialogs open. Just the Code Editor panels. By the way, this happens when I have chosen the Open button for one or more files which leaves the dialog active after opening a new CODE Editor panel with the selected file. If I stick to the OK button things work normally. "John Joiner" wrote in message news:adj4b2$tng$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > Dan, > > Did the 'File Open/Browse' dialog disappear, or the 'Search' dialog? > > I understood the question to be that the 'File Open/Browse' dialog > disappeared, and my response was to check that the 'Search' dialog was not > open. > > Sorry if I misunderstood the problem. > > JJ > "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message > news:adih76$1aig$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > That's just it... the search dialog has disappeared. > > > > > > "John Joiner" wrote in message > > news:adgsov$12si$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > > Dan, > > > > > > I've had this problem in the past, and have narrowed it down to having > the > > > 'Search' dialog open. Closing the 'Search' dialog has always taken care > of > > > the problem for me. > > > > > > John. > > > > > > "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message > > > news:adgqkn$13kk$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > > > I'm trying to open a new source member from Code Editor. I already > have > > > > several open. When I click File/Open for Browse from any of the open > > Code > > > > Editor panels, the panel loses focus and nothing happens. > > > > > > > > A related problem is that when I try to close one of the panels, I get > a > > > > message that says: Cannot exit the edit sesssion, an existing edit > > > function > > > > is still running. I've tried all the means of skipping between > > > applications > > > > and cannot for the life of me find the file open dialog that seems to > be > > > > causing the issue. > > > > > > > > It appears that the file open dialog failed to display, but the dialog > > > > application is still running. > > > > > > > > I'm at WDT 5.1 SP5. > > > > > > > > Interestingly, I can save from the one edit session I have open for > > > change. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Comment

Dan, The 'Search' dialog I was referring to is the dialog that is displayed by pressing 'Ctrl+F' (Find) while editing a source member. John. "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message news:adjiej$vck$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > I don't know that there is a difference. There's only one dialog open from > File/ Open for Browse. That dialog permits searching for files. > > There are no other dialogs open. Just the Code Editor panels. > > By the way, this happens when I have chosen the Open button for one or more > files which leaves the dialog active after opening a new CODE Editor panel > with the selected file. If I stick to the OK button things work normally. > > > "John Joiner" wrote in message > news:adj4b2$tng$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > Dan, > > > > Did the 'File Open/Browse' dialog disappear, or the 'Search' dialog? > > > > I understood the question to be that the 'File Open/Browse' dialog > > disappeared, and my response was to check that the 'Search' dialog was not > > open. > > > > Sorry if I misunderstood the problem. > > > > JJ > > "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message > > news:adih76$1aig$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > > That's just it... the search dialog has disappeared. > > > > > > > > > "John Joiner" wrote in message > > > news:adgsov$12si$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > > > Dan, > > > > > > > > I've had this problem in the past, and have narrowed it down to having > > the > > > > 'Search' dialog open. Closing the 'Search' dialog has always taken > care > > of > > > > the problem for me. > > > > > > > > John. > > > > > > > > "Dan Kimmel" wrote in message > > > > news:adgqkn$13kk$1@news.boulder.ibm.com... > > > > > I'm trying to open a new source member from Code Editor. I already > > have > > > > > several open. When I click File/Open for Browse from any of the open > > > Code > > > > > Editor panels, the panel loses focus and nothing happens. > > > > > > > > > > A related problem is that when I try to close one of the panels, I > get > > a > > > > > message that says: Cannot exit the edit sesssion, an existing edit > > > > function > > > > > is still running. I've tried all the means of skipping between > > > > applications > > > > > and cannot for the life of me find the file open dialog that seems > to > > be > > > > > causing the issue. > > > > > > > > > > It appears that the file open dialog failed to display, but the > dialog > > > > > application is still running. > > > > > > > > > > I'm at WDT 5.1 SP5. > > > > > > > > > > Interestingly, I can save from the one edit session I have open for > > > > change. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Comment

Hi Dan, It sounds like your open dialog might be "buried" underneath your editor dialog. Have you tried Alt-Tab to see if you can find it? Thanks, Violaine Batthish CODE Project Lead Toronto Lab, IBM Canada

Comment

Yes, of course I have. The open dialog seems to be active, but is nowhere on the screen, is not listed in the Alt-Tab list, is not on the taskbar, is not listed in the task manager dialog. It is "active, non-existant", a status you may not have intended. In order to shut down my machine, I have to end all other applications normally, then go to task manager and end each of the Code Editory processes. "Violaine Batthish" wrote in message news:adl14h$15om$2@news.boulder.ibm.com... > Hi Dan, > > It sounds like your open dialog might be "buried" underneath your editor > dialog. Have you tried Alt-Tab to see if you can find it? > > Thanks, > Violaine Batthish > CODE Project Lead > Toronto Lab, IBM Canada

Comment

Working...
                X