Ernie Malaga Is Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernie Malaga Is Gone

Ernie Malaga was the best writer and author! He will be missed very much. Sincerely, Eric L

Ernie Malaga Is Gone

I didn't always see eye-to-eye with Ernie, but I enjoyed working with him at Midrange Computing. Before I went to work with MC, Ernie was my favorite MC author. I looked forward to reading his articles and learned a lot from him. For example, I never understood routing entries until he wrote an article about the subject. He wrote about a lot of topics and was very thorough. I remember the first time I went to Carlsbad after MC hired me full-time. Ernie & I both flew in on Saturday, even though we didn't have to be in the office until Monday morning, because air fare was so much cheaper that way. Ernie showed me around San Diego on Sunday. We'd talked on the phone, exchanged email, and met once in person at a user group, but that was when I really got to know him. I missed working with Ernie after he got sick and didn't hear from him very often. I got my last email from him not long before he died. That's two MC co-workers I've lost. Daniel Green was the first. I miss them both. Ted Holt

Comment

Ernie Malaga Is Gone

Sorry to hear about Ernie's passing away. I first started "BBS'ing" right after Ernie joined the MC staff, I still remember a lot of the users congratulating him. I also remember well one of the articles he wrote after he left the staff. He was working as an application programmer and he was somewhat apologizing because he now realized why they weren't always out on the bleeding edge in programming techniques - they had a job to do and it needed to be done quickly.

Comment

Ernie Malaga Is Gone

I have a great respect for Ernie, and have read his 'Power CL' book (co-authored by Ted Holt) from MC Press (I still have it). One of the great utilities he wrote concerned saving and restoring library lists - SAVLIBL and RSTLIBL. When we moved to V5R2 from V4R5, we needed to update the utilities to be able to handle the new 250 libraries on a list (versus 25). We sure could have used Ernie's help then! Fortunately I was able to figure out how he was doing this, and with the help of my "mentor", Ted Holt, we were able to publish an update to the utility. We will definitely miss Ernie! God bless. Jeff Brown/Programmer Analyst/Sweetwater County, WY

Comment

Ernie Malaga Is Gone

The very first AS/400 book I bought (in 1992?) was the CL Programming book (actually a binder) written by Ernie. He had a knack for simplifying difficult subjects. I always enjoyed reading his MC articles. I still do. iSeriesNetwork lost Gary Guthrie in March of 2003. He was another favorite AS/400 author of mine. Chris

Comment

Ernie Malaga Is Gone

Ernie was a good writer, and helpful in many ways. I lift my glass, and say ye "Ernie Malaga". Dave

Comment

Ernie Malaga Is Gone

This is a discussion about Ernie Malaga Is Gone.

Click here for the article.

Comment

Ernie Malaga Is Gone

I worked with Ernie when he moved to Miami, and he was a personal friend as well. I will miss him, not only because he taught me a great deal about our craft, but because I admired the way he refused to let his physical problems get him down.

Comment

Working...
                X