WebSphere Development Studio - Price is Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebSphere Development Studio - Price is Right

Well, that sure is quite a rumor. I will wait anxiously for that.
    I heard that on April 23rd, IBM will announce that WebSphere Development Studio and all other languages will be available at no extra charge to V4R5+ software subscription customers.

At COMMON last fall the word was that the Websphere tools "standard edition" will be available at no charge to those who have a software subscription to any of the legacy languages and tools (RPG, COBOL...). For what it's worth... Kevin Silbernagel Linn-Benton-Lincoln Education Service District Albany, Oregon USA

Comment

For the scoop on this, on announcement day (rumored to be 4/23), point your browser to [http://www.midrangecomputing.com/iaa]. We have also created a special folder for V5R1 discussions. Midrange Computing Magazine, Midrange Technology Showcase, and Midrange Network Expert will also have extensive coverage. Brian

Comment

According to my sources, the Websphere development studio will be a replacement for ADTS in V5R1. This will only be free if you have ADTS and a software subscription. It will not be free for V4R5 users. Dave

Comment

http://www.ignite400.org/news/news2001042301.htm

Comment

Confirmed?!?!?! Was there some reason to doubt the information we posted?

Comment

IBM has faced off against Microsoft's strategy of making sure developers had the tools to make consistently great apps. Apps sell the OS. They faced up against them and outdid them. I still don't know what an AS/400 app is supposed to look like, and I still don't buy that it looks like a dumbed down green screen form on a web page, but whatever it will look like this toolset can make it... Ralph

Comment

Shannon, Went to the link above, too much text, only so many hours in a day so I did not read the the complete page. I scanned for V4R5 and then found some info.

Comment

Ralph, I'm happy to see that it is available for V4R5, which is our final release. The company has already decided on our user interface .. PeopleSoft on Unix in US and Canada.

Comment

I don't want to be negative, but it was a few years ago that all AS/400 development was stopped dead in it's tracks by the "RPG is dead" Java/web page UI hype. During that time PeopleSoft and Oracle Windows form based software dominated the market. Sure, they both came out with web enabled versions too, and now they've got all the bases covered. JDE and almost every other ERP went with Windows client based software. They threw in web page access where it made sense, but they provided powerful, desktop integrated UI's. The different flavors of Unix ported the Gnome visual desktop interface. None of these are based on Java. None try to force business processing through a web page. And all are successful. IBM tried to morph from a hardware OS value add company to a software OS independent value add company. Maybe they'll succeed, but they made the AS/400 the poster child of their Java driven web page interface experiment, left it as the only computer without a visual interface, left it as the only computer that doesn't run PeopleSoft and Oracle and anything else that has sold in the last two years, and convinced everyone that its strengths were its weaknesses. Can we forge a competitor to PeopleSoft and Oracle with WDT? There was once a healthy Sys3/X industry of kitchen table software entrpreneurs during the 80's when the foundations of all of the AS/400 ERP's were written. Maybe WDT for Windows will spawn another generation of industry leading vertical application code for the AS/400. Or maybe it's too little, too late... Ralph

Comment

I have an idea for a business that would require me to use my nights, weekends, and hard earned $'s to launch and would love to do so on the AS400 but can I justify/afford the total cost of entry? (HDW/SFT/etc.. for a WEB based development effort and all the pieces needed) You need to be a business partner to understand/wade through all the pricing crap.

Comment

The PID program is outstanding for people who want to develop software products. I'm absolutely, unashamedly thrilled with the support I've received all throughout the PID process. The process itself is a little byzantine, but once you make it through, the value can't be beat. It's a better deal than anything from any other manufacturer. Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe. Any words of wisdom on making it through the process, and a point of contact?

Comment

I'll ask my contact and post the information when I get it.
                            Joe
                            Thanks Joe. Any words of wisdom on making it through the process, and a point of contact?

Comment

I talked to my favorite person at IBM, Judy Timmers, and she replied with the following:
                              Hi Joe - anyone interested in our program should call 800-426-9990. They will screen them and tell them what they need to do to apply. Once approved they will call 770-835-9597 to get a configuration done.

Comment

Working...
                              X