• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scumware Conspiracy

** This thread discusses the article: The Scumware Conspiracy **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: The Scumware Conspiracy **0

The Scumware Conspiracy

Way to go! What a hoot. Given the premises from which you started, your evidence is nearly bullet-proof. Enjoyed the spoof!

Comment

The Scumware Conspiracy

I thought the article was entertaining as well as TRUE.

Comment

The Scumware Conspiracy

Thank you both. This week's and last week's columns were of a slightly different genre than my past tirades and, while I enjoyed writing them, I wasn't sure if anyone would enjoy reading them. It is nice (particularly for a low self-esteem person such as myself) to hear that you did. THANKS! Next week's is already written and edited and is more back to my normal style. I hope that's not too disappointing.

Comment

The Scumware Conspiracy

Sure, hook us on these articles, then switch back to that 'other' style.

Comment

The Scumware Conspiracy

I was serious when I said I didn't know if anyone would enjoy it. If the comments posted here so far bear out to be representative of all readers (how I'll know that is beyond me, but never mind), that may give me the confidence I need to try it again. Then again, I don't have a lot of life experience with confidence so I'm not sure that I'll recognize it if I get it.

Comment

The Scumware Conspiracy

You are correct, government (or in true conspiracy-speak, guv'mint) does not have the capability to develop scumware. Why, the committees and meetings to justify the project alone would swallow all their resources! No, the evil route they must follow is to bring in the dark lords themselves, the Consultants! But everyone knows that domestic consultants cost too much, so a cheaper consultant must be found. The guv'mint decides to go with the Foreign Outsourcing Consultant instead. This has a very beneficial side-effect. The guv'mint has a bad reputation and they know it. If anyone finds out, the guv'mint will be the first to get fingered. They need plausible deniability. Why do you think the CIA brought in the Mob to take out Kennedy? The CIA has the capability, but they needed plausible deniability! Same problem, same solution. So how does this work? Well, someone speculates, or finds out for sure, that the guv'mint created the scumware. The guv'mint of course immediately denies it. Certain facts are established and people named. The guv'mint tries to discredit these facts and people but it's only a stalling tactic. More facts emerge. It's time to bring out the fall guy. The guv'mint explains, "well, of course there was a program to establish a, ahem, economic development opportunity. It was a matter of public record and widely known" (in fact it was passed at 3 am as a last-minute rider on a much larger bill about a completely different matter). "Implementation was turned over to a Foreign Outsourcing Consultant, who appear to have overstepped their authority." Abracadabra! The gov'mint has plausibly blamed a non-gov'mint employee, who as a major bonus is also foreign. It's a rule that when you are trying to dodge blame, the more distance from the fall guy the better. Now where did I put my tinfoil hat?!

Comment

The Scumware Conspiracy

Your first few paragraphs reminded me of this saying I stored a few years ago: Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that’s not true. Some of the smaller countries are neutral. -- Robert Orben (comedy writer)

Comment

Working...
                X