Are Old Workplace Paradigms Obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Old Workplace Paradigms Obsolete?

** This thread discusses the article: Are Old Workplace Paradigms Obsolete? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Are Old Workplace Paradigms Obsolete? **

Re:Are Old Workplace Paradigms Obsolete?

It should be kept in mind that any opinions expressed are those of the author, and not necessarily those of MC Press. Aside from that, there have been political views expressed on this site and its predecessors for at least the last fifteen years. Dave

Comment

The fact is the workplace has been rocked hard for about eight years now. (Hmmm...eight years; This is not a political statement, just an observation that I myself and many others share. Never before in our last-of-the-boomers lives have we seen higher prices for gas, and staples like bread, milk, etc. Never have we seen more job loss, unemployment, and loss in the value of our dollar. Rampant foolish, no call it retarded behavior, in our credit and mortgage industries. We had never been asked to bail out government and private institutions because of their fool-hardy business practices. These and many other "bad" things have occurred recently and to put an exact date on it would be difficult. Seems like to me though, it all started about eight years ago. Yeah, for sure...exactly eight years ago.

Comment

Now that I'm started...One of the old workplace paradigm's that aggravate the crap out of me is what I call the "clock watchers". Their the ones who can tell you about every person, everyday things like: When they came in, went to lunch, how long they took, when they left for home. You come in "late", they look at their watch and say "Must be nice." But they don't know you were up supporting the night shift until 2:00am this morning. I say I'm telecommuting from home for several days straight to raised eyebrows. Even though I just spent six weeks straight, out-of-town, working 7 days a week, to convert one of the companies new aquisitions. The mentality that exists still today is: "You're not working unless we can see you." But really it's more like: "I can't manage you, if you're not here." This unfortunately gets totally swept away when the issue is nights and weekends. They don't want to see or manage you then. They want you to take care of it and be there Monday morning to inform them how it went. They want all the extra time the job involves including the office "face" time which doesn't necessarily involve getting the "job" done. For the most part these mentalities are more existent outside of IT departments and IT support people. Granted most of them couldn't perform their jobs via telecommuting and much of it may be resentment toward those that not only can but "DO" their jobs just as efficiently from home as they do in the office. IT haters probably...

Comment

efnkay wrote:
          Seems like to me though, it all started about eight years ago. Yeah, for sure...exactly eight years ago.
          This is the problem when you start letting politics creep into technical discussions. You start substituting opinion for fact, and relying on selective memory. You don't recall high gas prices? Evidently you forget the 70s. Greed and fraud leading to massive taxpayer burden? Does the savings and loan bailout ring a bell? And truth be told, none of this has to do with the Bush administration - the laws are the sovereign domain of the Congress. And while there was a Republican majority, you have to remember that everything REALLY started unraveling in the last two years, which pretty much coincides with Democrats taking power. So be careful when you start laying blame based on who is in charge now. The real answer is that these problems have long, long roots - roots of greed and willful misuse of power that permeate Washington. Bush may be unpopular, with a 32% approval rating. But that's thin ice: Congressional approval is the lowest in history, at 14%. So, who is to blame? Ultimately us, for allowing the lobby-funded, greed-infused career politicians to remain in office. Change is indeed needed, but it's interesting: who is more entrenched in the Washington swamps? Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin? It's hard to tell. Anyway, enough politics. I just wanted to make sure an opposing viewpoint was heard. Joe

Comment

Thanks anyway...But referring to economic concerns of 15 and 30 years ago doesn't have much to do with our current economic crisis. Like saying the "Great Depression" caused this. No more relevant to the thread than this thread is to boarders of this site.

Comment

This is why politics is a bad thing on any non-political web site. Now we're debating the cutoff of what is relevant... since eight years fits your agenda, that's a good point. But 10, 12, 15 years isn't. Of course, on the other hand you can't make the horizon TOO short - because if two years is the cutoff, then you would have to blame the Democrat-controlled Congress. Ah, the joys of political finger-pointing. You want to blame the President for everything? Just come out and say it. But don't use arbitrary time horizons to do it for you. As I said, I blame us because we (as in "We the People") sit idly by as Congress sells us down the river. Joe

Comment

But referring to economic concerns of 15 and 30 years ago doesn't have much to do with our current economic crisis.
                Those who are not aware of history are doomed to repeat it. Dave

Comment

... Congress sells us down the river. Amen. Amen. Amen

Comment

The mentality that exists still today is: "You're not working unless we can see you." But really it's more like: "I can't manage you, if you're not here." This unfortunately gets totally swept away when the issue is nights and weekends. They don't want to see or manage you then. They want you to take care of it and be there Monday morning to inform them how it went. They want all the extra time the job involves including the office "face" time which doesn't necessarily involve getting the "job" done.
                    This site is crap. When one clicks on preview, it loses your text. I came here to remark on Patterson's effusion about concentrating security-event messages to a Linux-based syslog console. Which is a good idea for larger organizations. But the above quote caught my interest. Firstly, for the PC tree-huggers, rivers of fuel are being wasted on urban commutes. I've seen this problem around Atlanta and Toronto, but understand it's a pandemic problem. If knowledge workers could work mostly from home, or at least from offices nearer their abodes rather than in expensive business tower complexes, huge sums of money could be refocused to better uses. For both business and consumer. Secondly, where is the next generation of IT worker going to come from? Some activities need hands-on intervention, and people in Banagalore can't do those. Plus, the arrant criminality of the H1B debacle (see corrupt -bought or rented- creeps in Congress and the Executive) is not only decimating the current pool of workers, it also discourages their children. Once they've seen how management treats their parents and uncles, why would they choose IT as a career?

Comment

<...there have been political views expressed on this site and its predecessors for at least the last fifteen years.>

Amen to that brother hurry...And you all better know it that what I express is "MY" opinion. I am one of those weirdos that thinks for himself.
                      Perhaps another reason "political" positions get exposed is because there just isn't anything else going on out there...!!! C'mon...if there was
                      anything (as in meaningful technical posts) going on out there...We wouldn't see you all going through, and replying to, these ancient off-topic meaningless threads. <---See! :-)))

Comment

Working...
                      X