Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OS/400 UPGRADE: What Could POSSIBLY Go Wrong With My Application Software ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS/400 UPGRADE: What Could POSSIBLY Go Wrong With My Application Software ???

I have a legacy application written in COBOL. It uses DDS for the files, logicals, physicals, printer & display files. These were all compiled with the native compilers for their respective types (CRTCBLPGM, CRTCLPGM, CRTDSPF, etc) on the system right now, although it is back-level at V4R2. MY QUESTION IS: Has anybody ever experienced a situation where their software vendor said "STOP!! Dont upgrade to VxRy until you ...." AND IF SOMEBODY HAS EXPERIENCED THIS SITUATION, WHAT WAS THE RESOLUTION ? Did the software vendor say "Remove all COBOL reserved words of SPLOINK & replace with SPLURGIN & then recompile them." ??? Or maybe... "If you have a logical file whose key contains 3 character fields between 4 & 10 characters & 2 of the use the keyword DESCEND STOP! Put on our patch BR549 BEFORE YOU UPGRADE ??" Or some other kind of direction ? If I have a software vendor who I pay a yearly maintenance fee to & rarely get an answer other than "That's fixed in the next version, you'll have to upgrade to get the fix." Then do I really need to maintain that (expensive) relationship ?? Now, mind you, this software doesn't do anything even remotely fancy. I could even describe it as a collection of programs (albeit a large collection) whose use is initiated by the various users on the system at any given time. These programs update files, read from files, interact with a user via a DSPF & the print reports with PRTFs. Just wonderin' out loud. Martin
Working...
X