rpg-java interoperability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rpg-java interoperability

I am currently working with a team designing an enterprise web services system hosted on the as400. As we look at various candidate architectures, we have been running some home-brewed benchmark tests. Right now our candidate architecture is a combination of ILE RPG, RPG III, and Java code. Not to get too bogged down in the details just yet, I was wondering if we could start a thread on RPG-Java interoperability. If anyone has some info to share, just jump in the discussion. For example, lets consider an ILE RPG program instantiating a very simple Java class and calling a method which takes no parms and returns no data. On our dev box (model 600 v5r1, jdk 1.3, latest ptfs) the average over 1000 iterations is: avg time = 23 msec avg Java constructor time = 11msec avg Java method call time = 12msec For comparison consider an ILE RPG main procedure using CALLP to call another ILE RPG procedure in a separate module of the same program again passing no parms and returning no data. The average over 1000 iterations is: avg time = 5 msec This seems very good news to me. There is no way I would expect RPG calling Java to be anywhere close to a ILE RPG to ILE RPG procedure call, but they were pretty close. I have a lot more tests to run and will put some of the results in this thread if anyone is interested.

rpg-java interoperability

Looks like this thread will die a quick death. Java-RPG interoperability hasnt really progressed much in the past couple of years. The promising results I got from JNI were very encouraging, but it just wont scale. Java calling RPG with JNI wont scale since the RPG code has to be compiled with THREAD(*SERIALIZE). RPG calling Java wont scale because each interactive job would end up with its own JVM. This leaves me with the same solutions we have had for years now. I can use dataqueues or sockets as intermediaries between the Java and RPG code. I can use the IBM Java toolbox classes like ProgramCall or PCML.

Comment

Working...
    X