Question about database names and data sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about database names and data sources

Does an AS400 only have one Relational database per partition? How does the AS400 reference the server name and database name that someone types in from a client application in order to create a data source?

Question about database names and data sources

Hi Phillip, Question 1: YES - but the i5 (former as/400) have various filesystems, I will try to explain the native i5. On the i5 we have something called a library - if you think in for example MySQL terms that will be a database. Inside a library you can store files (tables), program objects and a lot of other objects. Files can have various members, but in my shop we tend only to have one member in each file. All native i5 libries are stored in a library called QSYS. To create a data source I suppose you mean a ODBC or JDBS or something likewise you will first connect to the i5 partition in question and then if you want to access a file called CUSTOMER in library FILELIB the syntax will be something like: /qsys.lib/filelib.lib/customer.file or in native i5 term it would be FILELIB/CUSTOMER or in some SQL accent FILELIB.CUSTOMER I hope this help and that I understood your question correct. Best regards - Jan

Comment

Working...
    X