Using Dynamic SQL in CL: Part 2--Retrieving a Data Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Dynamic SQL in CL: Part 2--Retrieving a Data Value

** This thread discusses the article: Using Dynamic SQL in CL: Part 2--Retrieving a Data Value **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Using Dynamic SQL in CL: Part 2--Retrieving a Data Value **

Using Dynamic SQL in CL: Part 2--Retrieving a Data Value

** This thread discusses the article: Using Dynamic SQL in CL: Part 2--Retrieving a Data Value **
    I can see using CL for simple backup programs, etc. But the days of having to wrap every HLL in a CL program are gone. For example, RPGIV now includes numerous f spec keywords that used to be done with CL. Keywords like: EXTNAME, BLOCK, etc. These, with maybe the judicious use of USROPN take out the need for many of these CL programs. Frankly, I prefer the use of calling API's from within a HLL to CL's MONMSG. The structure available within a HLL is much cleaner than CL's when trapping for multiple conditions. For example on a condition in which you can get either file not found, or you do not have authorization, or the file is locked, etc. When I talk about API's I am NOT talking about the simplistic QCMDEXC and executing a command. I am talking about finding the API that is used instead of the command. For example if I want to do a RTVJOBA I'll go to the Infocenter, (the search on V5R2's version is quite nice) and search for RETRIEVE JOB API. Granted I've written several wrappers for the API's

Comment

Working...
    X