IBM Unleashes a System i Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Unleashes a System i Revolution

** This thread discusses the article: IBM Unleashes a System i Revolution **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: IBM Unleashes a System i Revolution **

Looking at the IBM website, I see that the compilers are optional. I'm guessing that this means one pays extra for them. Now why can't I find pricing online for 5722-WDS and for Websphere Development Studio Client? Remembering that we're going head to head against Microsoft for a small business, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 is a free download.

Comment

> Looking at the IBM website, I see that the compilers are optional. > I'm guessing that this means one pays extra for them. Now why can't I > find pricing online for 5722-WDS and for Websphere Development Studio > Client? > > Remembering that we're going head to head against Microsoft for a > small business, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 is a free download. Unless you know something I don't, VS is not a free software product. It may be a free download of the Trial version, but it's still a trial. Bill

Comment

A common misconception. VS has express editions which are free, but are limited to hobbiest/student use. Visual Studio Professional is $800. Products go up in price from there, including the $10K Team Edition. Joe

Comment

They may be targeted at hobbiest/student use, but there is nothing in the license that puts any restrictions on who may use it, or what they may use it for. In fact the agreement I read when I installed my copy specifically stated that I could use it to write applications which I could sell(ie. commercial applications), and not be liable for anything to MS. Personally, if IBM were to release VA/RPG as a freebie, it just might help them gain some mind share for RPG. Especially if they were as generous with the licensing as MS is with VS express. Further, I doubt that this would cost IBM very much since, so far as I can tell, there aren't very many shops that actually use VA/RPG in production. It is true that there are some things that are harder to do with VA/RPG than with c# and .net, but on the other hand, when you work on something that is within the VA/RPG strong areas, then VA/RPG is much easier to work with.

Comment

True, but IBM has shown no interest in gaining mind share for RPG, to be brutally honest about it. They probably have done all the equivalent free development stuff they want to with Eclipse and web related plug-ins for that and possibly Websphere oriented plug-ins they may have made available. rd

Comment

Working...
            X