• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A System by Any Other Name

** This thread discusses the article: A System by Any Other Name **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: A System by Any Other Name **

A System by Any Other Name

Joel, you have done it again. Written a very enjoyable article about a topic on everyone's mind. You have also come up with the next name for the computer, "the system formerly known as AS/400". You will still have the capitalization issue, but everyone will know what you are talking about. Great job.

Comment

Great article - I recently returned from an IBM class and found myself calling it several different names in one week; subliminally, I picked up the various names we all called it during training week, then started thinking about "Prince", too funny!

Comment

Good job of bring this to light. NOW, if IBM Marketing could just read! As always an enjoyable artical!! and as I've said once our System has had more names the Liz Taylor has had husband! (and that is going some!)

Comment

Thanks for a great article. Perhaps you could go on a campaign to make it mandatory reading for the marketing gurus at IBM. (Good luck with that one.) When I say AS/400, all of my customers know what I'm talking about. When IBM rebranded to iSeries I worked very hard at trying to use and explain the new name and now many, but not all, of my customers know what I'm talking about when I say iSeries. I'm tired of explaining something that makes absolutely no sense. I think I will just go back and call it "your IBM box". That should cover all of the old hardware and anything IBM comes up with in the future.

Comment

Good job, Joel! Once again, you have humorously put to words what all of us have been thinking about for so long - and doing an excellent job of it, I might add! (How many more nice things do I have to say before I get a complimentary autographed copy of your book?)

Comment

Imagine doing a web search for system i? What results will it yield? If the rename has to happen, that needs to be considered. It looks a lot like System/38, but maybe it should be System/i so that the name can be found as one word. It would also solve the MS Word issue.

Comment

How many more nice things do I have to say before I get a complimentary autographed copy of your book?
                Thanks for the compliments! As for the complimentary copy of my book, I'm afraid MC Press is the one you'll have to compliment. They're the one with the copies. Sorry about that. Then again, you could just buy a copy ... it's not very expensive Just a thought.

Comment

I just had a thought. Maybe IBM could buy several case-loads of my book and hand them out to customers of the system formerly known as AS/400 as partial compensation for annoying the heck out of them with their perpetual name change exercise. Why do I get the feeling that's not going to happen?

Comment

You put quotes around it or you would get a gazillion results. Even with the quotes, you get 23 million. However, doing the search I see Google deals with it and has System i of the IBM variety up front and center. Google is a lot smarter than IBM. rd

Comment

Joel, Still rolling on the floor laughing at IBM after reading your article. (thumbsup) Scott

Comment

Surely rather than "the system formerly known as AS/400", we should call it "the system still known as AS/400". (Or more accurately "the system still known as AS/400, despite IBM's best attempts to persuade us otherwise", although that's not as snappy).

Comment

I used to think it was just I (oops, there I go again) me. The most difficult task there ever is (it actually can't be done) is making logic out of someone else's illogic. Over the years I saved many of the monthly magazines IBM would send out and between the "i" and the "e" and the "advanced" and the "server" i (I) thought they were all non-interchangeable boxes. But maybe that is the point. If the iSeries isn't right for the customer, maybe the I5 is. Thanks for the article.

Comment

I had just about decided to call it "iSeries" whatever IBM says today. But any name other than AS/400 can get puzzled looks from coworkers, customers & competitors. "the system still known as AS/400" works for me. Good article Joel.

Comment

Working...
                            X