Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reports of System i's Death…

** This thread discusses the article: Reports of System i's Death... **
    This is a discussion about Reports of System i's Death….

Click here for the article.

Reports of System i's Death…

I have to admit...it's good to hear you rant again. I've missed you!

Comment

Due to a bug in MC's forum software the identity of the first poster sometimes gets hidden, but I know you're not my mom. She absolutely refuses to use a computer, but are you sure she didn't pay you to say that? Thanks.

Comment

I must admit that I started reading your article before I noticed who wrote it. As I read further, I found myself thinking, "Wow, this guy sounds as neurotic as Joel Klebanoff." Then, I scrolled to the top and saw that IT IS Joel Klebanoff. Thank you for the refreshing wit and sarcasm. At one point in the article, you enclosed a sentence with and (which shows you REALLY ARE a geek). But, in reality, you could have enclosed the entire article with those tags. Now, you've made me want to go home and watch my "Black Adder" video collection. Thanks, Dave p.s. neither Google nor Wikipedia knows anything about "Dafernyx", but I realize that may have been your entire purpose. "Let's see how many people I can get to search for something I completely made up". I'd do it, too. I'm chuckling already.

Comment

Don't forget the other line, I get it from the guy next door all the time (the Controller) no matter what I reveal to him. Quote "..why should we invest in another PROPRIETY machine". This probably fuels the demise contention of which you wrote.

Comment

Dave, Thanks so much for the compliments. You wrote:
            p.s. neither Google nor Wikipedia knows anything about "Dafernyx", but I realize that may have been your entire purpose.
            "Let's see how many people I can get to search for something I completely made up".
            Actually, I'm not as devious as you paint me. I thought that throwing in the "web-footed animals" bit would make it clear that I just made it up. Apparently I was wrong, because you aren't the first person to tell me that they Googled "Dafernyx" and couldn't find it. The other person thought that I might have accidentally misspelled it. Before submitting the article, I too Googled Dafernyx, but I did it to make sure that it WASN'T found -- I didn't want to accidentally plagiarize anyone. Sorry for making you work unnecessarily. But, now that you mention it, don't tell anyone that I made it up. You're right, it would be fun to see how many people I can get to search for something I completely made up. Do you know of any way to find out how many people have Googled "Dafernyx?"

Comment

I don't know what business you're in, but if your company sells proprietary products or services, you might want to remind your controller that if there were never any good reason to buy proprietary products or services he would be out of job. It's a business decision. If the advantages are great enough, then better, faster, cheaper and more secure beat non-proprietary. If not, then they don't.

Comment

I love humor and I always enjoy reading your articles, Joel. Having said that I have to ask about something serious. Does anyone else see a problem with the iSociety Creed? I think that is what they called it. A few months ago I started signing up for iSociety but then a screen came up with their creed or whatever and I cancelled my registration. It seems to me it goes a little too far. I'm not sure if they still make you go through that screen or not but basically it sounds like a cult (as you mentioned about Cult i). Does anyone else have a problem with that or am I just stupid? I don't mind being stupid but that thing just irked me. Did I mention I didn't care for it? Well, anyway, thanks again Joel for your wit and humor.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoy my articles. I'm not sure what you mean by the iSociety Creed. Are you referring to the paragraphs that you see when you go to http://community.common.org/? If so, I didn't object to it. It just sounded like the normal Cult i chant that you here in just about every System i gathering. I hadn't signed up for iSociety until you mentioned it. I just did so and the system didn't show me any other cult pledge/creed on or before the sign-up screen. Maybe they've changed it.

Comment

What a pleasant surprise to open up my eMail and see you had written an article, and a good one at that! Not that your others were bad, just that this one is really good, and so apprope. I did not see "the fat lady" even warming up a Common. Although I think IBM could do more for it's cause, it does seem to be finally headed in the right direction. And if you missed seeing me there I was the one in the tee-shirt that said, "I work on the System Formally known as the AS/400" (hey it almost worked for Prince or whatever his name is!) Might just work for the AS/400, AS400, iSeries, i5, System i, (Whatever!) Thanks for another great article. -- Jim L.

Comment

Hi Jim, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just out of curiosity, did your tee-shirt really say "Formally known" or did it say "Formerly known?" I've always found the AS/400 group to be a pretty casual crowd. By the way, just as an aside, I've done a lot of customer case studies for software vendors in the System i space. When I talk to their customers to get their stories, they almost always refer to the system as "AS/400" or, less formally, just "the 400." Some of the more up-to-date ones say "iSeries." I rarely hear "System i." When I write up the case studies I have to translate to modern language.

Comment

I saw the email in my in box MC Press Online but ignored it for a while while I read a few others and enjoyed my coffee. I actually thought about how much I used to enjoy Joel's rants, I even recently replied to someone else's very boring comment - "Bring back Joel!". Then on opening the email I see your signature at the top of the article! Not for one moment do i think my solitary comment would have the power to do anything but bring a smile to the other reader of this column. Anyway have a good day Joel and let me second the comment from not your mum that we do miss your ... style of writing and wit. Cheers Don

Comment

G'Day Don, First, re your subject line, "Not from your Dad," that much I knew. If it was from my Dad, I'd have to change my whole belief system because he died in 1990. I think very highly of him, but I don't think he had the foresight to prompt you more than 17 years ago to make your recent comment. Next, aw, shucks, thanks! I'm glad you enjoy my columns. As to your comment bringing me back out of retirement, absolutely, that's IS what did it. Please don't tell anyone else because I plan to tell anyone who asks that, yes, it was his or her comment that inspired me to write another column. But we know who it really was, don't we. Thanks again.

Comment

No one says system i unless they're trying to ingratiate themselves with the current IBM regime. rd

Comment

Ralph, No one says system i unless they're trying to ingratiate themselves with the current IBM regime. Ha. You obviously weren't at COMMON in Anaheim. I only heard a few attendees say 400. It was almost all iSeries and System i. Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X