• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic Electrons

** This thread discusses the article: Toxic Electrons **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Toxic Electrons **

Toxic Electrons

Joel, I think brominated flame retardants are what products such as Nexium are; heartburn/GERD suppressors. I don't know why they'd be in computers. I don't usually like acronyms such as SEP but I love the way GERD sounds. GERD is the word. Tom.

Comment

Toxic Electrons

Tom, I know that you've been reading my columns for a while now. I'm surprised that you still don't know why they're in computers. Joel

Comment

Toxic Electrons

Joel, I like your irreverent approach to technology. My computer gave me heartburn recently. It had gone to some seedy neighborhood, without my permission, and caught some virus or something. I felt so dirty using it that I replaced the hard drive. I had to start over and reload everything. Talk about your toxic heartburn! Toxic electrons could be put to good use fighting terrorism. As the electrons pass mercury (scientists have tried sending the electrons past the other planets... it doesn't work), it picks up what's called a "mercurial mendacity". What we do is send the mercurial mendantic electrons through the keyboard, or the cell phone, or the ipod, or the blackberry, or the blueberry, or the raspberries, and give the terrorist mercury poisoning. Tom. Raspberries to all on the New Year.

Comment

Toxic Electrons

Joe, unfortunately I was personally involved in export of old computers to Indonesia, India, and Pakistan who are three major importers of electronic waste. China has already banned such import. http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...ash/china.html What I did not know was that it was hazardous to environment especially in China. In China, poor people pick circuit boards and burn them in acid to extract gold. The gold extracted was just enough to get them minimum wages. However the toxic spill from acid destroyed echo elements such as water and soil. In Indonesia, Pakistan, and India, I was told that monitors were imported for picture tube to be used in cheap telivisions and the boxes were used to assemble new computers with brand name boxes having home made parts from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc. The biggest exporters are on the intersection of Hurontario and Dundas and the biggest brand is Dell. Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway etc have government contracts for leasing. When the lease is over, third parties buy them for the price of junk and sell them to these exporters.

Comment

Toxic Electrons

Joel, Words can't possibly express how disappointed I am. Leaving a mountain of electronic rubble for the next tenant to deal with ?? Well..... There's nothing wrong with THAT. But you've completely overlooked the Entrepreneurial angle. You've got the opportunity to not only defraud the folks who buy your condo but also to make some serious cash in the process. What kind of Capitalist are you, anyway ?? And remember, you're not Disposing of this stuff..... Just Warehousing it Indefinetly. So just to get you on the right track, I'd like to encourage all your readers to send you THEIR obsolete electronic equipment, along with a check for 5 dollars made out to KELTS (Klebanoff's Electronic Long Term Storage). For most of us, the money we save on Freight to Nigeria will more then make up for your "Storage Fee". Please include your full mailing address and prefered carrier in the next post. The last shipment I sent to "Joel in Toronto", via Dog Sled, was returned. (Although I did notice that the check had been cashed.) Mike

Comment

Toxic Electrons

Mike,
              So just to get you on the right track, I'd like to encourage all your readers to send you THEIR obsolete electronic equipment, along with a check for 5 dollars made out to KELTS (Klebanoff's Electronic Long Term Storage). For most of us, the money we save on Freight to Nigeria will more then make up for your "Storage Fee". Please include your full mailing address and prefered carrier in the next post. The last shipment I sent to "Joel in Toronto", via Dog Sled, was returned. (Although I did notice that the check had been cashed.)
              Mike, that's an absolutely ridiculous idea! It's a small storage room, so I'd charge at least $100 for use of that scarce resource. Please send a check for the $95 balance. And I think I know why your shipment was returned. Believe it or not, there are actually two Joel's here in Toronto, which can get confusing when all of the city's residents gather in the mayor's living room for our monthly beer and back bacon social. If you address it to "the older Joel in Toronto," Canada's letter carrier will know who to send it to, although I think he's making his arctic rounds this month so it might take a while to get to me.

Comment

Toxic Electrons

It had gone to some seedy neighborhood, without my permission, and caught some virus or something. I felt so dirty using it that I replaced the hard drive. I had to start over and reload everything.
                Tom, let that be a lesson to you. If you're computer insists on being promiscuous, insist that it always practice safe computing.
                Toxic electrons could be put to good use fighting terrorism.
                Fighting terrorism and dealing with our garbage problem at the same time, sounds good to me. Electronic scum for the scum of the earth, it's almost poetic.

Comment

Working...
                X