• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Video Games

** This thread discusses the article: Olympic Video Games **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Olympic Video Games **

Olympic Video Games

I like the definition that a sport is a physical activity with a real chance of getting seriously hurt. That sounds about right. Maybe it's not a sufficient definition, but it certainly allows you to rule out certain activities. Gardening, for instance, is not a sport. It's physical and usually outdoors too, which is a bonus. However there's just not enough risk.

Comment

Olympic Video Games

Judging from its popularity on the so-called cable sports channels, no doubt the 'gaming' industry is lobbying for putting Texas Hold 'em up for Olympic consideration as well.

Comment

Olympic Video Games

Well if the ""Citius, Altius, Fortius," is to be expanded to brain games, then chess and bridge is to be included to show smartness, poker to show witts, etc etc. Then maybe at some point video games would be included. The problem is, video games require hardware and software and they are intellectual property and hence have very little chance of being in Olympics anytime soon.

Comment

Olympic Video Games

Joel, Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Finally, all of the video games I've played through the years starting with the Atari 2600 will finally pay off. I'd like to propose a couple of my favorites to be added to the list: backgammon and cribbage. While we're at it, how about adding a spelling bee and horseshoes. Horseshoes could be the summer equivalent of curling. Darts, golf, and croquet might also work. And, don't forget tournament bass fishing and Nascar racing. I can feel the excitement already. Tom.

Comment

Olympic Video Games

If Nascar is to be a sport, what is next? WWE? Nascar, like WWE, is an entertainment company unlike Formula one. I remember when Dale Earnhardt (or however it is spelled) died and the rating started dropping. Then the Jr. made debut and immediately won and it with it the rating went up. How very convenient! After Nascar and WWE would be Survivor, Fear Factor and god knows what other "Reality" Shows. Maybe Jerry Springer?

Comment

Olympic Video Games

Hassan, I ain't no redneck Nascar fan but are you saying that Nascar is fixed? That's the first I ever heard of that. I have no idea who Dale and Jr are. But if Jr won some race why would that mean it was fixed? The only Dale I know is Dale Evans who was married to Roy Rogers. Is formula one a cleaner? Wrestling. I used to watch All Star Wrestling as a kid with The Crusher, Nick Bockwinkle, Scrap Iron, Ivan Koloff. Even then I knew it was fake. Speaking of fake, I'm certain that Olympic figure skating is rigged. The judges are crooked. Happy Trails. Tom.

Comment

Olympic Video Games

Even the die hard redneck NASCAR fans said "Now that's too much" when Dale's son made his debut immediately after his father's death and won the race on his debut. Some could see other drivers deliberately slowing down to let him win. Their argument was, "They were respecting his father's soul". LOL. They were just respecting NASCAR rating that had gone down. I gave credit to Vince McMohan when in an interview with "A passionate eye" he said about Brett Hart, "It is sad that three generations of business cooperation came to an end just because someone forgot that it is entertainment business!!!". NASCAR is entertainment too. Those fast buzzing car create quite an atmosphere just like all crap talking heavy weights create an atmosphere at WWE. Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman admitted writing the scripts for WWE but not all "Reality Shows" admit that.

Comment

Olympic Video Games

60 Minutes just re-aired a story on Pro-Gamer Jonathan 'Fatal1ty' Wendel, link provided below... They have a name for it - Cyber Athlete! Hmmm, between him and all those Dance Dance Revolution (DDR for short) junkies out there, there might be something to gaming being an Olympic Sport sometime in the future, LOL. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1220146.shtml

Comment

Olympic Video Games

Actually World Cyber Games are a regular event and this year many countries are participating. It is the olympics that we are discussing. http://www.worldcybergames.com/5th/main.asp

Comment

Olympic Video Games

Dale Jr did not start his NASCAR career after his Dad died. He had already been running and was running second to team mate Michael Waltrip at Daytona when Dale Sr. crashed and died. At his first win, Dale Sr. came to the Winner's circle and showed his pleasure that his son had won. Dale Sr. was running 3rd and appeared to be blocking cars behind him - so that his team could go 1-2. He owned but did not drive for DEI.

Comment

Working...
                      X