X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yossi
    replied
    AFP Printing

The price of a Laser printer with an IPDS card is quite expensive relative to the original price of the printer. But as the printer is more expensive - faster, heavy duty, colors etc, the additional price of the card remains the same therefore its part in the total price becomes less important. That is one of the ways to look on IPDS prices. The other one is the impact on the network traffic and the printing speed which depends on the time it takes to the spool to move on the net and the time it takes to be read by the printer. While a page of a report with a logo, some (explicit named) fonts and other AFP objects can be about 50K in size, the same page after translation by HPT can achieve the amount of 200-500K, every page in the report. Such quantities of data may have a significant impact on printing speed and more important on the network speed. As about using an overlay created using MS Word & AFP driver, I agree that it is faster to create such an overlay, but I think that such an overlay will be a larger object than one created by AFP Utilities.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    AFP Printing

Hi Friends..! I would be vermuch thankful if anyone can share about the terms AFP and PSF/400.Are these both one and the same or different.Iam looking for information like system requirements(hardware & software)...printer types that support AFP..and any any step by step approach to use AFP.If so please do let me know. Thanks in advance ....!

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    AFP Printing

If I recall correctly, you have to have PSF/400 to print an AFP document. I use Host Print Transform and inexpensive HP Laserjets to print AFP documents. Except for the PSF/400 license it is very cheap. Actually, the PSF license was less than the cost of one printer. IPDS printers on the other hand are VERY expensive. I have had some problems with network printer errors ending the writers so I added auto reply entries to Retry. I use MS Word and the AFP Printer Driver to create graphics overlays. DDS handles text and barcodes. It all works well and the quality of the output and bang for the buck is hard to beat.

Leave a comment:

• Yossi
    replied
    AFP Printing

As about AFP printing, PSF, etc. there is a full line of licensed programs that can help you to upgrade all your printing and mailing processing. 1. PSF is the (optional) part of OS/400 that enable your iSeries to use all the advanced printing/presentation features. 2. DDS language - yes the same language used to define files, display files and printer files has all the functions to print reports with graphics, fonts, barcodes etc. By the way, many iSeries users use expensive barcoding software or develop specific printer barcode printing (using a lot of hexa codes that will not work with different printers) while the AFP barcode functionality is simple and easy and work for most of the popular barcodes. 3. AFP Utilities: there are two main utilities in that product - an editor of overlays (an object that replace preprinted forms and more). The second function create advanced reports without programing from a data file. It works well for letters and labels. 4. InfoPrint Designer - a graphical studio to reshape your old and new reports without changing your existing software and printer files. 5. PPFA - an older software, parallel to IP Designer that does the same (and even more) but through writing and compiling source members. 6. InfoPrint Server - enable you to transform, on the fly, any spool to PDF, send it by E-mail, and more. The IP Server imports graphical objects from Windows to iSeries for archiving or transformation to AFP objects. As about AFP printers, or more precise IPDS printers, they are more expensive, but the IPDS feature (the better an IPDS card in your printer) beside printing AFP spools has a very important role in network printing, because a network printer (LPD printer) is unsecure, every error causes the loss of the printing without any alert. With an IPDS card, the sending computer receives alert and the spool does not disappear. On the other hand you can use HPT (Host Print Transform) to print directly from an iSeries to a regular printer like laser or inkjet printers.

Leave a comment:

• er@ebner.cc
    replied
    AFP Printing

Dear Jim AFP Printers are expensive, so I convert AFP, IPDS to PDF files. PDF's can be printed on cheap PCL5 Printers Rainer

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    AFP Printing

Dear Jim, Thank you very much..I am looking in to these redbooks. -as400friend

Leave a comment:

• jimCh
    Guest started a topic AFP Printing

AFP Printing

Hello, psf/400--print services facility afp-- advanced function presentation - good resources for this info are the Printing redbooks. Here is the link for the newest one (Printing VI). If needed, check the older ones back to Printing III, I got good info from all of them but version VI should have all thats needed. - http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/abst...6250.html?Open - - Another good reference (though a little older) is the OS/400 Printer Device Programming (SC41-5713). Here is that link... - http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/p...F/QB3AUJ03.PDF - Hopefully this starts you in the right direction. -jim
Working...
X