System 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System 36

The S36 had its own set of file transfer functions somewhat similar to a very basic form of the file transfer program within client access. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. Dave

System 36

If they have it, that is probably your best bet for getting data out of the existing files. If you are really lucky, the existing software uses Query/36 for report generation so you will have plenty of queries already defined over the files. Since the S/36 uses flat files and doesn't have a database you will have to rely on existing queries, source code, and the software documentation to determine what the file layouts are. Once you have the data your best bet is an attached PC with the S/36 version of Client Access. Look for the program RTOPC to download the data. Sorry I don't remember any specifics on how to use it. Also, depending on the backup device on the S/36, you may be able to copy to tape and restore to an AS/400 with the S/36 environment installed. Either way, it could be real ugly. Good Luck.

Comment

System 36

Thanks for the info, I will pas it on. Joe

Comment

System 36

How to call a program inside ocl code, is it evoke? Thanks Tiki

Comment

System 36

If I remember correctly, to call a 36 environment program: // LOAD pgm_name
          // FILE NAME- etc, etc.
          // RUN
          To run an OCL, I can't remember if it was // CALL or just use the name like a command. To call a 400 program, just call it like you would in CL. You can mix and match. The // EVOKE is like SBMJOB, it runs it in batch in another thread. -dan

Comment

System 36

I have no experience with the System 36. A friend (who has no IBM midrange experience) has a client with a 36 that they want to extract some data from (for use on a pc, I presume). Can someone give me some ideas? For example, if this was a 400 I know I could use ftp, cpytopcd, cpytostmf, Client Access, etc... ..I just don't know what is available on the 36. Thanks, Joe

Comment

System 36

Evoke starts the procedure running immediately in memory (RAM), not confined to a jobq. JOBQ or "J " starts the procedure in the Jobq, in the order they are submitted, as the Queue is emptied out. If you evoke too many jobs at time it will affect performance. To run a procedure, you just type the proc name, put it on a menu, or type just the proc name you wish to run into a new proc and type it. You can also type in the // LOAD... // File... // Run... OCL in the display as well. It was a very flexible platform, but took time to learn. (Probably most of it's manuals have gone away by now too.)

Comment

Working...
              X