Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

%ASP used drops 3% after an ENDSBS(*ALL) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• %ASP used drops 3% after an ENDSBS(*ALL) ??

We have less than one real crash per year. With the number of 400's between 40-50 in the last few years, that puts it at 40-40 years MTBF. Several crashes, to me, sounds likes time to work closely w/IBM or your service contractor to fix it. As to the 1-3%, that'd be from 340mb to 1gb. Without knowing your setup I don't know if that's unreasonable or not. What kind of cleanups happen at IPL? Sounds high, though, especially if you are doing IPLs. I'd work on the crashes first and see what the storage fluctuation is after that's resolved. As a first step, yes a RCLSTG might be a good idea if it hasn't been run in a while. Sorry, I got no idea how long that will take. All our machines are either much smaller or much larger than yours. And we do IPLs and RCLSTG quarterly along with some purges, etc. I don't have the seperate times.

Well, our "crashes" are actually caused by our UPS not working ! Although we've had it serviced several times, I've been sitting at my desk when the lights have gone out & everything in the computer room has gone out too.....even though it's on the UPS. It's been bad batteries, bad blah-blah, bad.... as the causes.

Comment

At least yours did not blow up and cause a fire. (Powerware) Halon put the fire out causing the fire department to not have the opportunity to break down the doors!

Comment

A UPS on fire? That's interesting. We had to replace our UPS two years ago because it would just stop. Everything would go dark then come back for no reason at all. After removal I took it home, dismantled it and discovered two things. The Ground pin on the OUTPUT was not connected. It just sort of rested on the contacts. Seems to have been made that a way. The plastic of the housing was the only thing holding it together. I did some test with it, with all the lights out I could see it arching. Then I removed everything. The Ground pin in the INPUT was the same way. No wonder the sucker was intermittent. The parts were sold at a local hamfest. The batteries (10 of them wired in series) were plain 12 volt sealed lead acid types. Those that were good got re-used, the others went to the local battery recycler. The housing made a good planter for the back yard.

Comment

I've got V4R2 & only 1 ASP. I've noticed that the %Used of the system ASP drops by 1 to 3% after an IPL or an ENDSBS SBS(*ALL): from 79% to 76% most recently. I discovered this after doing several GO SAVE, Option 21 to save the entire system. Anybody know what's going on here ? We've had several hard crashes in the past few months. This happens even when it's been a couple of weeks since last IPL/ENDSBS. Perhaps a RCLSTG would help ? Anyway to estimate how long a RCLSTG will take ? We got 34gig in the 1 & only ASP. 1 gig of memory. TIA, Martin

Comment

Over the last ten years, my client has had two unplanned outages:
            1. During a storm, the UPS went out and took the AS/400 with it.
            2. During a regular UPS maintenance, the maintenance guy decided to unplug the UPS unit without telling anybody. Naturally the AS/400 was plugged into the UPS, and so. . . . .
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X