Warning: Undefined array key 114787 in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3534

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3536

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 704

Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3548

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 635

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 635

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 173

Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 190

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 191

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 197

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601
Upgrading to V5R3 - MC Press Online Forums

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading to V5R3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to V5R3

I was down (3) days. Upgrading to V5R3 does not follow the rules of the past. It is very important that you obtain a copy of the Installation/Upgrade Guide for V5R3. Read it a couple a times and follow every step in order, especially creating all the various list. Just running the disk allocation procedure is not enough. I know all of this because in Nov, I upgraded a 820 from V5R1 to V5R1. Just say that normally, I don't use the kind of language that I used while attempting this upgrade. The folks at Software Support were not to happy with me either. I had to escalate several problems a couple of times to get back on track. Good Luck.

Upgrading to V5R3

We just did an upgrade this past weekend. We used the virtual optical drive for both install and the PTFs. We created the catalog images on our main 400 and saved them to tape. Then we did a restore from tape and loaded the images on the 400 we were to upgrade. We never used the CDs at all on the upgrade machine. From the 1st PWRDWNSYS to the final signon took 4hrs. 45 minutes. We did have one problem with our LINUX partition and are, at this time, uncertain if it has been fixed permanently. The most important thing to do prior to the install is to accept the software license agreements. Follow the manual. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to help.

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

I haven't yet worked on an i5 but will soon. It is my understanding it is a beast of a different color so follow the manual to the letter. My upgrade was and will be on 820s.

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

I did the upgrade from V5R2 to V5R3 last week end without any issue. For the first time, I used Image Catalog to do the installation. With this option it's faster and before the installation, you are sure that all CD's are correct. Be sure to follow each steps of the preparation 1 week before the installation. Go to the following site (IBM) to have all necessary documentation for preparation and installation: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...2924/index.htm select option: (left) installation, upgrades and migration. Be sure to install all necessaries PTF and something new: Accept software agreement. Francis

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

Richard, Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that the virtual drive worked. I'm going to be sure to do that. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Richard Comstock" wrote in message news:6b20d257.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > We just did an upgrade this past weekend. We used the virtual optical drive for both install and the PTFs. We created the catalog images on our main 400 and saved them to tape. Then we did a restore from tape and loaded the images on the 400 we were to upgrade. We never used the CDs at all on the upgrade machine. > > From the 1st PWRDWNSYS to the final signon took 4hrs. 45 minutes. We did have one problem with our LINUX partition and are, at this time, uncertain if it has been fixed permanently. > > The most important thing to do prior to the install is to accept the software license agreements. Follow the manual. > > Let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to help.

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

We are doing exactly what you described in the next few weeks. We have already converted two 830 systems to V5R3 from V5R2 without incident. One using CD's the other using the image catalog. The CD's were two hours longer during the process. Other than internal issues with new V5R3 features (we knew about them up front from reading the Memo to Users), no issues were experienced with the upgrade itself. We will be attempting a load source migration process to keep from having to save restore the whole system from an 830 to the i5. We are only planning 7 hours of total down time to the company with 2.2 TB moving to a new disk tower as well.

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

I may have a horse of a different color. I am moving from a 720 v5r2 to an 820 v5r3. IBM tells me that I can save my libraries that I want to carry over with me by following chapter 14 of the Backup and Recovery guide. "should have no problems." So, Has Anyone done this? I really hate being the test subject. tia!

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

Good luck! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "chrisk1" wrote in message news:6b20d257.4@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > We are doing exactly what you described in the next few weeks. We have already converted two 830 systems to V5R3 from V5R2 without incident. One using CD's the other using the image catalog. The CD's were two hours longer during the process. Other than internal issues with new V5R3 features (we knew about them up front from reading the Memo to Users), no issues were experienced with the upgrade itself. We will be attempting a load source migration process to keep from having to save restore the whole system from an 830 to the i5. We are only planning 7 hours of total down time to the company with 2.2 TB moving to a new disk tower as well.

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

bentley.person wrote: should have no problems. This is assuming that all of the objects that you are using are in your user based libraries. Too often I have seen objects placed in QGPL, or even QSYS by third party software, and others. Anything that is not in a user based library has to be identified and individually saved if the "no problems" scenario is to be believed. In many cases management was unaware that such object plopping took place. Dave

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

We are a small company, and we moved from a model 250 v5r1 to a new iseries 520 V5R3. All of our user libraries moved smoothly. We did NOT have anything in Qsys or other IBM libraries, as David pointed out. Our Communigate email server software hiccupped a few times, but I forget exactly what the trouble was. It began working after a few reboots without me having to call their tech support. We spent about 5 hours setting up the new machine and 5 hours migrating. We started at noon and left about 10pm. I had one particularly large library of data files that I should not have bothered moving and that added at least an hour or two to the process.

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

David, I agree with you. I had looked to see if any "things" have been placed in QGPL or QSYS/QSYS2 before creating my post. I am relieved that someone confirmed my own thoughts. We put all things in a set of "user" libraries so we can manage them more easliy. Dale, thanks for the comments on the upgrade. I am feeling better and better about it.

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

Use ANZUSROBJ command for System libraries, to check for User Defined Objects in. Will be useful.

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

Hello "dalejanus". My name is Gray Lyman. I am in Houston, Texas, and I am interested in learning more about your CommuniGate software. Would you mind if I called you to discuss? We are looking for an OS400 solution for email and calendars. Thank you. Graylyman@skilmatch.com

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

I have 6 machines that I need to upgrade this year from V5R1 to V5R3. I have read all of your comments listed here and have some questions for you. I have never done the image catalog. Is it easier to do than loading the cds as they are asked for and did it really save you time? One of you mentioned get a copy of the Installation/Upgrade Guide for V5R3. Where did you get this? Did it come out of the Info Center?

Comment

Upgrading to V5R3

Upgraded from 5.2 to 5.3 this weekend and not when using CPYFRMIMPF the data on the iSeries is corrupt . Can any one help Thanks George

Comment

Working...
                              X