V320 to V540

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V320 to V540

Source code and files can easily be moved by means of media. You may have to recompile your code. It is possible to migrate programs as long as they contain observability (most do). Finding media that can be used with both systems might be a problem. The newer systems rarely use QIC or even 8mm tape as did most V3R2 white boxes. Dave

V320 to V540

qgenesist wrote: > Dear all old geezers. I have an old luggable on v320 and need to find > a way to move source (data in files would be nice as well)to a 540 > machine, I can only hook up to the outside world as far as I know > with a modem. Does anyone have any idea how to go about this or where > to start? Ron, Network cards were available back on V320, do you not have one for this machine? If you do, FTP would be the absolute easiest and likely the quickest way to do the transfer. Save the appropriate objects with SavObj to a Save File. Then FTP using the BIN option to the new machine. Bill

Comment

V320 to V540

First, you will want to create save files for any libraries you want to save, and then do a SAVLIB to DEV(*SAVF) -- then it is just a small matter of how to copy these save files off that system, to restore them on the new system. Is your "huggable luggable" AS/400 a model P01, or P02 or P03? If it is a P03, it likely has either Ethernet or Token Ring, which you could use to FTP save files to a PC, and then from there, FTP them to your new V5R4 system. Do you have a real TwinAx console, or some kind of PC 5250 emulator card that you use as the console for this system? This is important, because if you have a 5250 card and use it to emulate a "real" twinax 5250 terminal for the console, may times there is some kind of a "file transfer" capability built-in to the 5250 emulator software, which you could use, in lieu of TCP/IP and FTP, to copy your save files from V3R2 to your PC, and then from there, FTP them to the new V5R4 system, as above.

Comment

V320 to V540

But would V5R4 even be able to open a savefile from V3R2? Maybe you'd be be better off transferring it all as text files, CPYTOPCD or something.

Comment

V320 to V540

it is a P01. It has a 9143 IOP. I do not have a pc with a 5250 emulator, that would be handy to save source to the pc, and would help a great deal. the tape is a QIC1000 and I don't know of any card that is gonna take that to swap to a new machine. Ron

Comment

V320 to V540

Dear all old geezers. I have an old luggable on v320 and need to find a way to move source (data in files would be nice as well)to a 540 machine, I can only hook up to the outside world as far as I know with a modem. Does anyone have any idea how to go about this or where to start? Ron Melby

Comment

Working...
            X