File Transfer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Transfer.

Lori T. wrote: > I have another question about file transfer, I would like to know > what do I need to do if I want to transfer a report from the AS400 to > the spreadsheet(excel)by using either Telnet or client access? How > can I look for the Library and file name from the AS400? Lori, You don't need the library and file name (they kinda don't apply to spool files). Using iSeries Access Navigator, open the machine connection and then open the Basic Operations and select Printer Output. The default is to show you only your spool files, but the selection criteria can be changed to show someone else's. Right-click the proper spool file and select Copy. Then in Windows Explorer, right click the proper folder on your PC and select Paste. This will download a Text file representation of the report. You will then open this report within Excel and attempt to parse it as best as you can. Bill

File Transfer.

Hi Bill, Would you tell me a little bit more about using iSeries Access Navigator, I just copy the screen to show you that's what I have from the screen. Your answer is appreciated.

Doc1.doc

Comment

File Transfer.

Lori T. wrote: > Hi Bill, > Would you tell me a little bit more about using iSeries Access > Navigator, I just copy the screen to show you that's what I have from > the screen. Lori, iSeries Navigator is a PC-based application that in it's infancy attempted to graphically present many operations that were previously done via menu options on the 400. In it's current state it offers many operations that can't be (easily) done via the command line. Depending upon which Windows Operating system you are on, it is started by clicking on Start / All Programs / IBM iSeries Access for Windows iSeries Navigator. Bill

Comment

File Transfer.

Hi Bill, First of all I would like to say thank you very much for your help, I finally able to copy it and paste it to my desktop with a text file, but I still have one problem is when I open it with excel, it seems like not looking to good, so I like to know if you can help me with the last step is what do I need to do when I open it with excel? Again your help is appreciated. Lori

Comment

File Transfer.

Lori, As far as getting the spool file to the PC you have many ways (like the one above). If you wish to automate the process you can have the iSeries email it. There are plenty of examples on this site. Now that you have the text file on the PC, your "problem" is that it is not formatted to what Excel can understand (i.e. CSV, Fixed with, pipe delimted, etc.) With your text file, Excel can not determine where one column ends and where the next begins. (especially if the report has headers, totals, footers, etc.). You would be much better off outputing your results to a file (vs a spool file) and then use CPYFRMIMPF to create a CSV file on the IFS. Then the user could map a drive to the IFS "share" or you can email the file as an attachment. Now the user can open the file in Excel and it will be formatted correctly. Please note: Sometimes date fields may cause some problems. Hope this helps.

Comment

File Transfer.

Lori T. wrote: > I finally able to copy it and paste it to my desktop with a text > file, but I still have one problem is when I open it with excel, it > seems like not looking to good, so I like to know if you can help me > with the last step is what do I need to do when I open it with excel? This is the best tutorial I could find: http://www.dmi.uiuc.edu/excelimport.pdf You'd be importing a fixed-width file, not character delimited. Bill

Comment

File Transfer.

Check out the following links for importing a data file from the 400 into Excel. http://www.disltd.ca/dis2/support/as400toexcel.asp and if the add-in does not exist do the following to add the add-in as follows: http://www.disltd.ca/dis2/support/ex...otPresent.html

Comment

File Transfer.

Hi All, First of all I would like to thanks to all the answers about my previous two questions regarding about PTF & CRTUSRPRF. I have another question about file transfer, I would like to know what do I need to do if I want to transfer a report from the AS400 to the spreadsheet(excel)by using either Telnet or client access? How can I look for the Library and file name from the AS400? Again your answer is appreciated.

Comment

File Transfer.

Hello all thanks for evrything here, really it helps a lot!! have a question kind of similar here, but, i need to import an excel file to AS400 through FTP only, where excel transfer or the dtt is not secure enough!! any help regarding this issue??

Comment

Working...
                  X