Warning: Undefined array key 125665 in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3534

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3536

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 704

Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 3548

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 635

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 635

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 72

Warning: Undefined array key "reputationimg" in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 77

Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 173

Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 190

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 191

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 197

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601
TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios - MC Press Online Forums

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios

Excellent! I'm glad that you stuck with it, patience wise, and finally was able to get things put together. Nagios is one of those tools that has a very very hard learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you wonder how you got along without it. I appreciate being able to help, and I'm really glad my article was able to get you going in the right direction. Thanks for reading!

Re:TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios

Hi, My name is Enrique and I have problems with the plugin of AS400, the Display sign-on information (DSPSGNINF) Changed it to *NO, but to check_as400 -d -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx send me: Establishing connection to server...done. Logging in... waiting for screen... waiting for token IBM CORP... token received. sending login information for USER... waiting for login to process... waiting for token ===>... token received. Login completed. Sending command (6)... OK - Login completed successfully Logging out... sending F3... waiting for token ===>... token received. requesting signoff... waiting for token ;53H... and nothing more, no finish the session, please any sugesstion?

Comment

Re:TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios

Hello I have the same problem as enrique first example $ ./check_as400 -d -H xxxx -v LOGIN Establishing connection to server...done. Logging in... waiting for screen... waiting for token IBM CORP... token received. sending login information for NAGIOS... waiting for login to process... waiting for token ===>... token received. Login completed. Sending command (6)... OK - Login completed successfully Logging out... sending F3... waiting for token ===>... token received. requesting signoff... waiting for token ;53H... $ ./check_as400 -d -H xxxxx -v CPU -w 80 -c 90 Establishing connection to server...done. Logging in... waiting for screen... waiting for token IBM CORP... token received. sending login information for NAGIOS... waiting for login to process... waiting for token ===>... responding to allocated to another job message... token received. Login completed. Sending command (0)... waiting for token ===>... token received. Command sent. Parsing results... OK - CPU Load (3.6%) Logging out... sending F3... waiting for token ===>... token received. requesting signoff... waiting for token ;53H... Any answer.... Regards

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios **
        ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios0

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios **
          Hi Mr Max I've read the documentation on the installation of Nagios (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/installing.html). It said we need to create user. Can we use CRTUSRPRF to create the users as mentioned in the docs? Request for your guidance.. Thanks and regards Araman.

Comment

Hi Mr Max It seems that it require a C compiler. Will the license program 5722WDS (Compiler - ILE C) be enough for the compilation?. Any other alternative? Please find below figure for the attempt. Thanks and regards ARaman.
            Code

Comment

Hi, I don't mean to question your tactics, but is there any particular reason why you're installing Nagios on the host from which you want to monitor? The general rule for monitoring and network monitoring is to install the monitoring program on a specific machine. This ensures that there is a separate machine to do just that specific task and nothing else. For instance, what happens if your i5 goes down? How would you know? Nagios wouldn't be working on the host because the host could be down. Typically what I do is install Nagios on a physical separate older box. I run Nagios on RHEL (or CentOS) because there are RPM packages already created so I don't have to compile code. I then check all my business critical machines from the Nagios box. Then I backup all of my configurations on my Nagios instance, /etc/nagios. This ensures that I can get an instance up and running quickly in case the Nagios host goes down. I know if my Nagios instance isn't running because I am always logged into the web interface while at work. The Nagios AS400 Plugin is installed on the same RHEL machine as the actual Nagios program, as I mentioned in the tip, which requires Java. You actually have nothing to install on the i5. The only thing on the i5 that you needed to worry about was to create a user as per the plugin author's guidelines included in the readme files after you unzip the plugin. Again, I don't mean to question you, but I think that you'd be better off installing Nagios on a host completely outside of any business critical servers or machines. Not that business critical machines fall apart that often, but none the less, you get a physical separate sense of monitoring this way. You can also then setup Nagios redundancy between machines if you so desired. Regards, Max

Comment

Is that so.. It shows that I didn't read your articles carefully.. I was only getting excited to get it up and running. Never heard of CentOS before though.. Now I understand.. I will try to set up a stand alone box and install in it.. OK.. Thanks for highlighting it for me.. Will try your approach.. Thanks.. Araman

Comment

CentOS is just a community based and driven version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's just my preferred Linux OS, you can use any Linux OS you like or are comfortable with. The Nagios project has just launched a new community wiki page. You'll find tons of documentation there, and specifically OS specific installation instructions for getting things going. http://www.nagioscommunity.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page http://www.nagioscommunity.org/wiki/index.php/Howtos:specific Good luck! Max

Comment

Thanks Mr Max.. I'll go with CentOS, since it proven to be working in your environment. I'll download both the linux distro and nagios and get on with the installation. Thanks for the guide.. Regards Araman

Comment

Hi Mr Max It's me again. I've successfully 1) Installed nagios 2.8on Centos 4.4. 2) Installed JDK 1.5.0_09. 3) Setup the web interface of nagios (http://localhost/nagios/ 4) Each module is viewable on the browser after disabled the selinux Even the CentOS resources is being shown. My problem is : I've installed the as400 plugins. Changed the check_as400. Modify/add the service.cfg, command.cfg, nagios.cfg. But still having problem making the plugins talking to my AS400. (please see my screenshot). Hope you could help me out of this headache (I'm actually having it now!!)... Thanks Araman.
                      Code [file name=6b4f1eef_Screenshot.png size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b4f1eef_Screenshot.png[/file]

Comment

There's a few things I'd check: 1) Did you follow the guidelines that the author of of the Check AS400 plugin mentions about creating a user on the 400? After you unzip the package, it's in INSTALL.txt AS400 Nagios Plugin - Installation instructions ---------------------------------------------------- Preinstall notes -------------------[*] Make sure you modify the JAVA_START path in the check_as400 script.[*] Security Note: Realize that this plugin communicates to the AS400 via telnet, which is easy to sniff and capture user names and passwords. Use a generic user with restrictive rights for the plugin. The user needs access to wrksyssts, wrkoutq, wrkactjob, dspjob, dspsbsd and dspmsg. 2) Make sure that you're permissions are good on executables in the plugins directory. 3) Make sure your Java path is set. At the command line, type java -version or "which java" A 127 out bounds usually has to do with the path and permissions to which you're trying to launch. http://nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=17 Off the top of my head, I'd say it's your path to Java. You have to change it in the check_as400 script: /usr/java/sdk/bin/java -cp /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/libexec check_as400 -u $USER -p $PASS $* Obviously this is my path, your path may very, but I see you just have java without the path in your check_as400 script. Just another thought. Good luck.

Comment

Hi Mr Max After changing the check_as400 JAVA_PATH to : /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_09/bin/java -cp /usr/lib/nagios/plugins check_as400 -u $USER -p $PASS $* I got below screenshot. With a fimiliar java message pattern.. "Usage: check_as400 -H host -u user -p pass [-v var] [-w warn] [-c critical] "... Meaning java check_as400 does not get the correct parameter passing... Am I right?.. (Shows the same message when I do "java check_as400".. without the parameter) I guess its something to do with the command.cfg or the service.cfg now... (or other configs?) Thanks! Araman[file name=6b4f1fc7_Screenshot.png size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b4f1fc7_Screenshot.png[/file]

Comment

Hi Mr Max After gone through a page : http://www.openfree.org/pet/index.ph..._configuration I noticed there is a way I can call the plugins from a console and get the info immediately without the web interface. But since we are issuing User ID and password that needs to be saved in .as400 file, and we run the script in check_as400. Is there a way that I can confirm that the check_as400 script itself is working? I've run the: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_as400 -H -v LOGIN I received "CRITICAL - Login ERROR, Invalid password " (I logged in in my AS400 and see there is an invalid attempt!) But my user ID and password is correct!.. When I try: java check_as400 -H -u -p -v LOGIN Error comes out.. Is there any way...? Thanks Araman

Comment

Again, check your permissions on .as400, check_as400 and check_as400.class. They should be owned by Nagios. chown -R nagios.nagios /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_as400 chmod 700 /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_as400/.as400 You need to specify the password on the command line if you want to test it manually. You're showing me: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_as400 -H -v LOGIN But you're not manually typing in the password, you're relying on .as400 to supply that, and if your path is wrong and it can't find it, then yes it will error out. Run: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_as400 -H HOST -p PASSWORD -v LOGIN If it spews back that it's an invalid login, then I'd say it's your 400 configuration. It it doesn't and it logs you in, then you need to verify your paths again for everything. This is why in the TechTip I showed to create a check_as400 direcory in /usr/lib/nagios/, then place all check_as400 items in there. Aside from this, I can't assist you much more. Double check everything, and make sure paths are all consistent, and then check permissions on everything. You're almost there.

Comment

Working...
                              X