Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwards Migration

Let me present a scenario.

I have RPG ILE source code created on a V5R4 version of the OS. Through an unpleasant change of events, I am being forced to move to a new machine that is running on version V5R3. My question is:

Is this going to be a problem? Will my code re-compile and work correctly?

Can I just create a savf from the V5R4 machine and restore it to a V5R3 machine?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Jeff (Coldplay)

I understand coldplay...sometimes circumstances take you backward to a platform that existed before anyone even heard of AS-4-Hundie...Nevermind I digress.

I believe you can SAVOBJ and specify the release level that you want them saved to...Like *PRV, *V5R3, etc...and restore to the new (old) box as-is.

Some folks would feel more comfortable pushing thhe source to the new (old) box and using the compilers there, or compile on your current box to *PRV or *V5R3...Anyway I think you're covered.

Comment

And you might want to check the Overview and What's New in V5R4 at this link:

You might recognize something new you have been using since V5R4 that won't fly at
      V5R3...I don't know of any particulars, but I think a big jump came along in RPG /FREE syntax about that time...Good Luck!

Comment

We are doing this, as well. We bought a company about a year ago and are moving their development down to our combined development box. They were on 5.4 but our development box isn't scheduled to be upgraded up from 5.3 for several more months.

The only thing I ran into was they had used the callsubr command in some of their CLs. That won't work on 5.3. All the RPGs, DSPFs and files worked just fine. That is, they all restored fine. We haven't run anything, yet. Maybe next week or the week after we'll get to that point.

As efnkay says, you can save to a save file with tgtrls(*prv). If an object contains any features only available in the current release, it won't save. So, the joblog of the save will tell you how many objects were not saved. That will give you a good idea of what your situation is.

-dan

Comment

Working...
        X