Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RS6000 Unix Question (maybe can get an answer here?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS6000 Unix Question (maybe can get an answer here?)

Unlike the 400, the files on the 6000 do not inherently have the structure defined. To get this data you'll have to know the exact structure. It probably isn't "packed", as such, but in some binary form. The normal system type data in the home directory would be in simple text format, so I'm betting the data you are looking at is from a package or in-house written system that is storing it in there. There is no one database storage method, so each developer may use a totally different storage method. So the answer is: you'll need to track it down from whoever wrote the code. Someone more familiar with the 6000 (or Unix in general) may know of a utility that can help you look at the data to try to suse it out for yourself, but all I am familiar with is only for use on simple text. -dan

What type of files are you seeing in the HOME directories ? They may be files created with editors. UNIX does not have a fixed records length files, so perhaps you are seeing an End of Line indicator or a length of line indicator. Alternatively when you refer to packed are you talking compressed files, such as those created with tar ? Try FTPing the file to your PC in binary mode then looking at it in HEX/Binary mode.

Comment

I've searched these boards and haven't found anything retaining to Unix other than here in Linux, so here's the question. I have a new client coming off a RS6000 onto a AS400 system. I have been able to use their report writers to pull the data from their box for conversions. However I would like to get their home files. I have found them, however the data has the pipes all within it. I am assuming that is packed data? Now, the question. How do I parse these files out to a flat fixed Ascii file?? Or if not fixed, comma delimited with "" as the text qualifiers?? Thanks

Comment

Yea I've used binary transfar through FTP to no success. I have all the data dictonaries printed off of these files so yes I have the file specs from the vendor. This is a Dairyland system (a hospital software vendor) I got the file names from the data dict's and used the find / -name filename* -type f and got the location of the ones I needed. However when I view the file both on the server or when I download it to the PC it'll look similar to this:
        Code

Comment

Working...
        X