Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mySQL

Richard,
    We use mySQL here for development and training only. I asked around and the consensus was mySQL wasnt appropriate for a production environment.
    The limitations mentioned were:
    1. no transaction control (ie no commit/rollback) support
    2. no support for subselects
    3. no stored procedures or triggers
    4. no foreign keys.
    5. not as scalable as heavyweight databases like db2 or oracle - also no highavailability support or cluster support.
    The mysql documentation probably has a more extensive list.
    The consensus here is that you might use mySQL in a very simple environment or where only very lightweight persistance is required.
    Having said that, there are some articles on the internet showing that some companies have chosen to live with the limitations and have used mySQL in a production environment.
    Alex Garrison
    "Richard Shaler" <shaler@home.com> wrote in message news:ef1f9e9.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS...
    Does anyone use mySQL on a Linux server in a production environment? I'm evaluating mySQL and wondering if it's viable in for production applications.

mySQL

Thanks, Alex. The limitations of mySQL are more significant than I expected. I'm going to check out PostgreSQL. I found an article on the Web comparing mySQL and PostgeSQL: http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/ti...05.php3?page=1

Comment

mySQL

Does anyone use mySQL on a Linux server in a production environment? I'm evaluating mySQL and wondering if it's viable for production applications.

Comment

Working...
      X