Problem with CHKOBJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with CHKOBJ

Is your CL program ILE? If so do you have the RCLRSC command toward the end of the program? Dave

Problem with CHKOBJ

No it is a regular CL program. Actually it is from KEYES e-mail software. They gave me a fix around the problem, which is a loop after a delay of 2 seconds. But that does not explain WHY this happens. There are some peculiar things happening. My program writes a log record and then calls the KEYES program which first creates the member in the file and then in some subsequent program checks for its existence (which gives me the error). There is a delay of about 8 seconds between my log record and the time the member is created. And there is a delay of whopping 2 minutes before the error is given (the file has a standard wait time of 10 seconds). Once I gave a Retry on the failing command and the process continued, my orginal program then repeatedly called the KEYES program to send more e-mails, and each call was successfully completed within 1 or 2 seconds (based on my log file and member creation time). This was the ONLY job running on the machine at that time. The error was given on the first call after the date and time was changed.

Comment

Problem with CHKOBJ

vinayg wrote: > No it is a regular CL program. Actually it is from KEYES e-mail > software. They gave me a fix around the problem, which is a loop > after a delay of 2 seconds. But that does not explain WHY this > happens. Most likely explanation is that the version of OS/400 you have can't handle that many members. Make sure you are on the latest CUME PTF package or consider upgrading if you are not on at least V5R3. If you satisfy both of these suggestions and still have the problem, then a call to IBM software support is in order. Bill

Comment

Problem with CHKOBJ

A few years back I had a similar problem. You say a new member is being created? The system will create the object/member and CHKOBJ will return an OK (the name of the object exists!) while it is still creating it! Leading to the CPF9899 and other message that the file is in use. In cases when creating new objects I always used an ALCOBJ loop before attempting to update the file. This problem goes back quite a ways I believe. You may also have activation group problems with your program calls.

Comment

Problem with CHKOBJ

How big is the member and how many indexes exist over it? Possibly the database server jobs are building indexes. Colin

Comment

Problem with CHKOBJ

What would cause CHKOBJ command to give a CPF9899 (preceded by a File in Use) message? As far as I know, the file is not in use, no backups going on, no mirroring. The file has over 12000 members. CHKOBJ was looking for a particular member, which existed. When 'R'etry was taken on the error message, the program continued (finding the member). This has happened consistently on last 3 month-end runs when we change the system date and system time backwards. Does this have any effect on the CHKOBJ command? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Problem with CHKOBJ

when we change the system date and system time backwards
              I don't know that it would relate to CHKOBJ, but changing the system time or date can create all kinds of odd errors, esp if you use journals. Is this really needed ?

Comment

Working...
              X