Comress IFS file to can copy faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comress IFS file to can copy faster

The problem that you are experiencing could be related to the CCSID of the file. If the CCSID of the file is not ASCII (819 I believe), then problems like this could occur. If that is not the problem then the problem could be related to how you transferred the file to the unix machine. If you used FTP, but you did not transfer the file as binry, you would have problems also.

I'm using QSHELL on our AS/400 (OS/400 V5R3)to compress a large file on IFS. QSH CMD('compress -c /test/tap.icb > + /test/tap.icb.Z') It works OK and the "Z" file is quite small to can be copied via NFS to Unix or Linux system. The problem is that after "uncompress" there the file is not good. What I'm doig wrong?

Comment

foxj, Thank you for the fast answer. I'm afraid that the AS/400 QSHELL "compress" is not compatible with "uncompress" on UNIX. I've made test with Binary FTP file too. The problem remain. But I found on IBM site everything for QSHELL on that link: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r3/index.jsp Now I'm using "jar" command in CL program for Zipping the IFS files and no problem neither on UNIX (there we are using "unzip" to decompress the files) nor on my own PC, using WinZip. The files are with Cyrillic in there and no problem at all. "jar" is very flexible and useful, still more it is compressing better and faster. I'm recommending it to everyone, who has similar needs and do not have a special software for AS/400 Zip.

Comment

Working...
      X