CPY Command Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPY Command Question

First of all, a CSV file is a flat file. And, because it is almost certainly denormalized, the only thing you could copy it to is either another flat file or a single table (not technically a flat file, but pretty darn close). That is, without denormalizing it of course. And no CPY command is going to do that for you. The second thing is, network protocols are de-linked from application level logic. It does not matter whether you are currently using SNA, or whether IBM once upon a time gave birth to SNA. This is fundamental ISO/OSI 7-layer stuff. Now, SNA had it's own view of layering (it was either 5 or 6-layers, I can't remember exactly now). The important thing is that SNA layers correlated pretty well to OSI layers. There was far more that was compatible than was incompatible. So the upshot is, go ahead and use your CPY command. It will survive the end of SNA, I'm sure. If you want a guarantee that it will last until the end of time, well, no one can give you that. Nothing is forever in this business. However, IBM places a premium on backwards compatibility on this platform.

CPY Command Question

OK, so I looked up the comparative information. Here's SNA's defined layers: 1). Transaction Services 2). Function Control 3). Data Flow Control 4). Transmission Control 5). Path Control 6). Data Link Control 7). Physical Control The information I have says that originally, SNA left layers 1 and 7 undefined, so those are later additions. Here's the OSI model: 1). Application Layer 2). Presentation Layer 3). Session Layer 4). Transport Layer 5). Network Layer 6). Data Link Layer 7). Physical Layer Now, the correspondence definitely isn't perfect. However, they do have an awful lot in common. Furthermore, the OSI model has been very influential, and no one is proposing that abandonment of that. So to get back to your original question, your CPY command comes from Layer 2 of the SNA model (Function Control) and Layer 1 of the OSI model (Application Layer). These are analogous layers of the application design stack. Since IBM hates to break code on the iSeries, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Comment

CPY Command Question

I am using the CPY command to copy a .CSV document to a flat file. This is being performed within the same system (only one AS/400). In order to use the CPY command, I must first have each user enrolled in the Directory (using the ADDDIRE command). My question is this... Is the CPY command considered as part of SNA technology? We have some concerns about using SNA technology since there seems to be a rumor that SNA will be phased out by IBM over the next several years. If CPY is a part of SNA, I will need an alternative and would be open to any suggestions. John Tevald.

Comment

Working...
      X