DL .xls from web to iSeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DL .xls from web to iSeries

I have a requirement to get a .xls spreadsheet directly from the web to the iSeries. I discovered STRHTTPCRL, but it won't do it as far as I can tell.

When I search the web for a solution I can't seem to craft the search to come up with anything.

Any ideas?

-dan

You may need to do a couple more things first...Check out this link to get the general idea of how to create, configure, start, and check the results of your search request to the crawler. If this is too remedial for where your at already...shoot some specifics to the board and see if you can get some better help. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by efnkay View Post
      You may need to do a couple more things first...Check out this link to get the general idea of how to create, configure, start, and check the results of your search request to the crawler. If this is too remedial for where your at already...shoot some specifics to the board and see if you can get some better help. Good Luck.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/soft...ebcrawler.html
      Thanks. That's the exact page I used to get started.

I can crawl pages and see the html it has downloaded. So, I think I got the command working just fine. But what I am trying to get, it ignores.

What I am trying to get is from a page with a table and a link to "Download as Excel Spreadhseet". It's that spreadsheet I want. It says Excel, but is actually a TSV file.

However, after looking around, it looks like changing where we get the data from is the best bet. We should be using web services instead of taking a micky-mouse manual process and automating it (removing all the human error checking).

So, while I am still interested in figuring this out, this particular problem I think I am going to fix a different way.

-dam

Comment

Well you're beyond my weight class on this particular topic. Hmmm...Can you look for a
        TSV and get an XLS thru that...??? Just musing. Never lie and always love the machine
        called "i". :-))) You'll get it. Good Luck.

Comment

You may have to use the Client Access file transfer program.

Create the file transfer, and then save it.

Use RUNRMTCMD or STRPCCMD to execute the transfer.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by D.Abramowitz View Post
            You may have to use the Client Access file transfer program.

Create the file transfer, and then save it.

Use RUNRMTCMD or STRPCCMD to execute the transfer.

Dave
            Ah, but I'm trying to get it straight from the web, automated once per day.

Right now they have a PC set up that pulls it down and uses either a DTS package or mayby FTP to put it up on the iSeries. We are looking for a way to eliminate the PC from the mix and pull it directly from the web to the i.

It's really just a protocol issue. STRHTTPCRL can go to the web and pull in html, so something could pull a file, if I only knew how. I don't want to bad enough to delve into how the protocols work and write it myself. Just not that high enough priority.

So, like I said, I think going to a web service is the way to go.

BUT, I'm sure there will be a need sometime to get a file straight from the web, so I'd still like to find a solution for this. It'll be a while before I tackle this myself, but if no one posts a solution before I finally get to it a solve it, I'll post what I got back here.

Thanks for all the responses!

-dan

Comment

Found it unexpectedly while trying to program for web services.

HTTPAPI from Scott Klement

Example 1 in his library just gets a file of any type. Simple. Worked first time.

The web services example is proving a little harder to get working, but it's coming along. It includes a library that helps to parse out the XML. EDIT: If anyone expresses interest, I'll post the results of that, as well.

-dan
              Last edited by dacust; 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM. Reason: If anyone expresses interest...

Comment

Working...
              X