ODBC Connection/ Client Access/Link Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODBC Connection/ Client Access/Link Problem

Diane, Your link problem sounds like a naming convention problem. Find the ODBC Data Source this link is using and select the Configure option. Click on the Server tab and you will probably see that the System Naming convention has been selected, change it to SQL naming convention and then it should work. Bill Diane Mueller wrote: > Before our system upgrade to V5R1, I had an Access table with a link > to a table on the iSeries--all worked well. Since the upgrade, my > link does not work, fortunately one user has not upgraded his Client > Access so we can transfer our data. The error I am receiving is: "The > Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object > 'MMALIB.BSSWHYP'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its > name and the path name correctly."

Bill, Thanks for your response, the ODBC connection was configured with the "SQL Naming Convention", any other thoughts?? Diane

Comment

Diane Mueller wrote: > Thanks for your response, the ODBC connection was configured with the > "SQL Naming Convention", any other thoughts?? Diane Client Access version and service pack level? Bill

Comment

Bill, Client Access V5R1M0, SP Level SI01907

Comment

Diane Mueller wrote: > Bill, > Client Access V5R1M0, SP Level SI01907 According to this page: http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver...ccess/casp.htm the latest SP is SI06804, I'd suggest an upgrade. Bill

Comment

Bill, Thank you for that link. We have put the order in for the SP and I'll let you know if it solves my problems. Many Thanks! Diane

Comment

Bill, Just an update on the linking problem I have. The Client Access SP was installed this weekend--unfortunately, it did not help my problem. Here are my exact steps for linking if you are interested: Open MSAccess, File, Get External Data, Link Tables, select ODBC datasource, machine data source--MYAS400. Now a LINK TABLE box appears listing the library.files--looks good to this point, once I select the file I want, I receive this error: "The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'MYLIB.MYFILE'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly." The only pc in this office that can link a table is the one who I advised NOT to update his Client Access--once he does, I'm sure he will be broken just like the rest of the office. I appreciate your thoughts you have given me on this frustrating problem, but would gladly take more advice if you have any to give. (WINDOWS 2000, CLIENT ACCESS V5R1, SP SI06804) Thanks, Diane

Comment

Diane, 1. Have you reported this to IBM? 2. Could it be an ACCESS problem? (do you need to install any win/2000 and/or office 2000 access fixes?) 3. You stated that only one pc does not have this problem(the one not upgraded to CAE v5r1), is it a win/2000 PC with office 2000? 4. Did your iSeries security level change when you upgraded to v5r1? 5. Does "normal" CAE data transfer operate normally? normal meaning run a data transfer from the TRANSFER pull down menu. 6. You stated that you re-established the link, same problem. Have you re-installed the Client Access 32 bit external data transfer program? I seem to remember having to do this one time some time ago. Seems the CAE 32 bit EXE changed from one CAE version to another. I am waiting with baited breath for you to resolve this issue. I have suspended an upgrade to V5r1 because of this problem. The IT support staff at my company use ACCESS for alot of data extraction and data warehouse analysis. Thanks

Comment

Bentley, In response to your post: 1) No, I have not reported this to IBM--but I think this will be my next step. 2)I really feel that it is a Client Access problem vs. MSACCESS. All worked for me on Friday before the upgrade--all was broken on Monday after the upgrade. 3)Yes, it is a Win2000 w/Office 2000 pc--same as mine. 4) No change with the security level. 5)From a 5250 session, I can transfer data with no problem--it seems only to be with "linked" tables. 6) No re-install of the data transfer program. The thing that puzzles me is that when I select the option to link the table, I am given a link table dialog box with all my files--it is when I actually select the table that I want to link to is when I get the error. If you are not "linking" tables, you may not have the trouble that I am experiencing. Diane

Comment

Diane, Does it literally say 'MYLIB.MYFILE' or are you just substituting this? The only thing I can think of now is to do an ODBC trace to see what's going on in the communications. Bill Diane Mueller wrote: > Bill, > Just an update on the linking problem I have. The Client Access SP > was installed this weekend--unfortunately, it did not help my > problem. Here are my exact steps for linking if you are interested: > Open MSAccess, File, Get External Data, Link Tables, select ODBC > datasource, machine data source--MYAS400. Now a LINK TABLE box > appears listing the library.files--looks good to this point, once I > select the file I want, I receive this error: "The Microsoft Jet > database engine could not find the object 'MYLIB.MYFILE'. Make sure > the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name > correctly." The only pc in this office that can link a table is the > one who I advised NOT to update his Client Access--once he does, I'm > sure he will be broken just like the rest of the office. I appreciate > your thoughts you have given me on this frustrating problem, but > would gladly take more advice if you have any to give. (WINDOWS 2000, > CLIENT ACCESS V5R1, SP SI06804) Thanks, > > Diane

Comment

Bentley, In response to your post: 1) No, I have not reported this to IBM--but I think this will be my next step. 2)I really feel that it is a Client Access problem vs. MSACCESS. All worked for me on Friday before the upgrade--all was broken on Monday after the upgrade. 3)Yes, it is a Win2000 w/Office 2000 pc--same as mine. 4) No change with the security level. 5)From a 5250 session, I can transfer data with no problem--it seems only to be with "linked" tables. 6) No re-install of the data transfer program. The thing that puzzles me is that when I select the option to link the table, I am given a link table dialog box with all my files--it is when I actually select the table that I want to link to is when I get the error. If you are not "linking" tables, you may not have the trouble that I am experiencing. Diane

Comment

Bill, Clarification on that, the error has the library name and file name, 'MMA400.SRVYP'. ODBC trace---haven't done this before, any clues to get me started? Diane

Comment

Diane Mueller wrote: > Clarification on that, the error has the library name and file name, > 'MMA400.SRVYP'. ODBC trace---haven't done this before, any clues to > get me started? It's one of the tabs on the ODBC driver applet. I've got a feeling that it's not going to show anything useful, but I can't think of anything else. Note: I just tried doing what you've done and it works fine. MS Office 97 SR-2; iSeries Access SP SI05883 (which is the newer Client Access). Bill

Comment

For anyone interested, an upgrade from V5R1 to V5R2 fixed my linking problem. Maybe there was a service pack that we were missing, but for now we are working again. Diane

Comment

Diane, did you upgrade OS/400 to 5.2 or just the Client Access client?

Comment

Working...
                              X