Mapics and Extol EDI Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapics and Extol EDI Software

"...we our getting no source code with any of the software." This is the current mantra of management from what I see in the computer press. Vanilla software. Potentially great cost reductions, until they find out what people will generate as departmental solutions to get around it. Oh well, survival of the fittest I guess. Too bad there is so much disruption to people's lives as we find out there's no free lunch. Oh, and I've not used Extoll EDI, nor heard of anyone extoll its virtues. EDI software doesn't come with source code, does it? MAPICS source code nowadays probably isn't like the MapicsDB RPG source code we've worked on. I've heard nothing but talk of Java come out of Alpharetta for the last few years now. Ralph

Thanks for the input. I agree there is no free lunch and I am afraid the customers are going to not get what they want and I will be one who has to tell them that. EDI software doesn't usually give you source code, but Peregrine does have several user exit points and some flexibility. Extol has the in-house bridge contained in it as well, and considering how I know my customers cannot be "cookie cuttered" into all doing EDI in the same format or even according to the VICS standards they are suppose to follow--I don't see how Extol can handle all that. I have written default programs to handle some incoming EDI data from customers, and it is extremely difficult to get one program to work for all the things my customers come up with.

Comment

Anyone who has worked with Extol--I'd like to hear your experience with it, good or bad. Thanks.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with using Extol Software for EDI? I currently use Peregrine EDI400 with MapicsDB in an AS400 environment. We have an in-house bridge between EDI and Mapics which is written in RPG. My company is planning on switching to a newer version of Mapics and using Extol for EDI. I am concerned if Extol is going to be able to meet all our customers needs and whether the company is even going to need an RPG programmer at all (although there is a lot more to my job than just coding.) I have asked questions of upper mgmt., but am not getting many answers, other than that I have heard we our getting no source code with any of the software.

Comment

Working...
        X