The Pain of getting JDK1.3 on V5R1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pain of getting JDK1.3 on V5R1!

Add this text: java.version=1.3 to file SystemDefault.properties in the home directory of your user profile. To change it globally update the same file in /QIBM/UserData/Java400 This is from the install guide for V4R5 http://www-919.ibm.com/servers/eserv...uide_v4r5.html

Thanks Trevor, However doesn't this assume that the JDK is installed? I need to know how to determine whther it's installed and figure out how to install it. I appreciate your help as this was half of what I was looking for. I still need V5R1 specific details of the PTF to install if neccessary and how to go about finding all of this stuff. Cliff

Comment

If GO LICPGM option 10 doesn't show JDK 1.3, you don't have it. This page will probably get you started: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...a/rzahat01.htm You'll probably load it from your V5R1 system installation CDs. This talks about multiple JDKs, including 1.4: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...a/rzahat01.htm This talks specifically about getting & installing 1.4 on V5R1: http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase...d?OpenDocument

Comment

Thank you Ken, The 1st two links you sent were broken but I URL hacked, navigated, and found the info I was looking for. It was under Programming -> Java -> IBM Developer Kit For Java -> Installing. I also read some of the documentation specific to installing licensed programs on the iSeries. Under installing the IBM Developer Kit for Java it say the following: Enter the Go Licensed Program (GO LICPGM) command on the command line. Select option 11 (Install licensed program). Choose option 1 (Install) for licensed program (LP) 5722-JV1 *BASE, and select the option that matches the Java Development Kit (JDK) that you want to install. If the option that you wish to install is not displayed in the list, you can add it to the list by entering option 1 (Install) in the option field. Enter 5722JV1 in the licensed program field and your option number in the product option field. IBM supports multiple JDKs. It almost seems as if this is all I have to do. But then other documentation (I don't have the exact excerpt) states that licensed programs always install FROM THE MEDIA. I'm guessing this is the CD or DVD drive meaning I'd have to travel to the remote location of our iSeries to complete the install. I was hoping this would be something simple that I could perform remotely on my own. Does anyone know if the JDK1.3 install would require an IPL? Cliff

Comment

I just did a GO LICPGM to find out which version of the JDK we're running and all I saw were entries for JDK 1.1.8 and JDK 1.2. We moved to V5R1 earlier this year(around April). I was under the impression that IBM would bundle the latest and greatest JDK technologies with the OS install. I guess not. My real question is how do I get to JDK1.3 on V5R1. I've been looking all around for documentation on it but I couldn't find anything. I see documentation on going to 1.3 w/ V4R5. (This is PTF SF63319.) Nothing on V5R1. I can't even find docs on how to switch the JDK level. Why is it so hard to change JDKs on OS/400? From my PC all I have to do is connect to sun and download the latest. With the iSeries I have to jump through hoops, search the wild for documentation, install PTFs, and beg the sys admin (and management) for an IPL. Is there a less painful way to up grade the JDK? Will I have to repeat all of this when JDK1.4 becomes available? (When will that be anyway?) Regards, Cliff

Comment

I believe Lisa Wellman is an IBM expert in this subject. Her last known e-mail address over at www.iseriesnetwork.com is peace@us.ibm.com . Ask her. Chris

Comment

Working...
            X