No announcement yet.

What is the CHKOBJ equivalent in Java?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the CHKOBJ equivalent in Java?

One way is to call the CHKOBJ command using an CommandCall object. Another is to try the ProgramCall object and write a CL wrapper around the CHKOBJ command. A third technique would be to use the fully qualified pathname of the object (MYFILE in MYLIB is /QSYS.LIB/MYLIB.LIB/MYFILE.FILE) and use the File.exists() method in Java. Joe

You could create an ILE procedure that executes the CHKOBJ command by using QCMDEXC. Then you could put the procedure in a service program and code it as a native method in java. Then you could call the java native method from where ever in you java application that you need to.

Comment

Philip, I'm trying to understand your approach as I am also writing other service programs in ILE RPG. Can you please provide me with some sample code so I can put things into perspective? I like the idea of using service programs as native methods in java. I just need some help on how to put this together. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I learned this from the book "Java for RPG Programmer's" which can be purchased at this site. Appendix B of the book discusses how to mix RPG with Java. It gives an example of the code you will need in the Appendix. I suggest purchasing or borrowing the book.

Comment

Necqui Teja wrote: > > Philip, > > I'm trying to understand your approach as I am also writing other service programs in ILE RPG. Can you please provide me with some sample code so I can put things into perspective? > > I like the idea of using service programs as native methods in java. > I just need some help on how to put this together. > There is a small but nearly* complete example of an RPG native method and related Java code, in the ILE RPG Programmer's Guide. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...HDRCALLNATMETH * It's only "nearly" complete because the RPG part doesn't show the complete module where it defines the file that is used in the native method, and it doesn't show the THREAD(*SERIALIZE) keyword on the H spec.

Comment

How do I check to see if a file exists on the iSeries from a java application? I'm using JT400.jar.

Comment

This is starting to look very exciting and powerful! Thanks for the link. For CHKOBJ I ended up using the CommandCall. It was simple and quick for what I was doing, but for other stuff I'll definitely keep this new technique in mind. Necqui

Comment

Working...
              X