ODBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODBC

I remember a few years ago John Sears brought an AS/400 road show (the one where he coded Java in SEU to my former employer and we talked about that. He talked about a procedure of adding an exit program to a common ODBC entry point on the AS/400 to make file access in the job Read Only. It must be well documented by now, but we actually didn't implement that. We stopped the ability to change files on the AS/400 by making ODBC drivers on desktops Read Only (and no apparent way to the user to change it from that - I didn't check into what the configuration was). That was just before Ops Nav came out. Ralph

ODBC

The quick answer is to change his authority on the 400 to *USE.

Comment

ODBC

Thanks guys - I will have to look at exit programs I think. this is quite a literate PC user who could get around me changing the ODBC driver on his desktop. As for giving him *USE on the 400 - I think this stop him being able to use the green screen applications?

Comment

ODBC

Actually there is a parameter you can use at compile time and in the CHGPGM command to change existing objects. This parameter "User Profile" will allow the program to adopt the athority of the program owner as the authority level. So a user with *USE could use the green screen programs, provided the program owner has authority to change the files.

Comment

ODBC

I appreciate (as will many other shops) that authority on pgms will do the trick. But just how many have actually acomplished it? I still believe the user exit pgm is the best fix for this problem. Only thing is I don't know which exit to go for!!!!!!!! Carl

Comment

ODBC

Well - I am getting on with my exit pgm OK. Only problem now is which exit point do I hook it up to???

Comment

ODBC

Hi, We have a ' super user' who has the ability to download data into Access - this is no problem, he then creates reports to his hearts content. We have recently noticed he is updating AS400 live files !! Obviously this must stop - but in Ops Nav. I cna only see all ODBC or none. Is there a way I can allow read only? On the ODBC connection on the PC we can tick read only - but he will change that to read / write. Any ideas?? TIA Carl

Comment

Working...
              X