TechTip: RUNSQLSTM Is Bigger and Better in V6R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: RUNSQLSTM Is Bigger and Better in V6R1

** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: RUNSQLSTM Is Bigger and Better in V6R1 **

Re:TechTip: RUNSQLSTM Is Bigger and Better in V6R1

RUNSQLSTM is a great idea that is "Dead on Arrival" when placed into practice. V6 does not look as if it is in meaningful "Upgrade Mode." I would like to see COMMON resolutions and a lot, a lot of customer comment, feedback and the above-mentioned resolutions tied-in with IBM announcements. Finally, some upgrades are announced but not the ones that are relevant to the central thrust of SQL development in the Information technology Industry. Many basic SQL commands do not work on RUNSQLSTM. I notice from some responses how fragmented the user-base is. Many products announced, for example, do not support REXX or CODE400. Key upgrades have been deprecated for Domino IFS support from the System i. We see a ghetoization of current users where cutting-edge development is being done in windows and the scatter-shot IBM approach in the i-World is missing the point: IBM has to become integrated, focused. I hope Bill Zeitler's managers can get the upgrade paths into focus. With that, then maybe more IBM clients will stay current with the new Releases. V6 is irrelevant in my shop. Thank you, --John deCoville, Pinal County Government

Comment

What I would like to see is the ability to code an SQL statement directly in the CL command using a literal or a variable. I realize this probably wouldn't work for complicated queries. But it would be nice to to code a short, relatively simple SQL statement without having to maintain a script in a different location. This would be helpful in situations where I need to create a temporary work file or insert records into an existing work file and then print a report from it.

Comment

To execute CL commands in a select statement, we set up an SQL function to call the QCMDEXC API. I developed it on company time, so I'll just post this exerpt to get you started. The return value in my function is an error code, in case one is sent, or the statement executed if it was successful. CREATE FUNCTION ROUTINES.QCMDEXC ( ... BEGIN DECLARE CMDLEN DEC ( 15 , 5 ) ; SET RETCMD = CMD ; SET CMDLEN = LENGTH ( TRIM ( CMD ) ) ; CALL QCMDEXC ( CMD , CMDLEN ) ; ... To execute the function you do something like: select QCMDEXC('DLTF '||trim(ODOBLM)||'/'||trim(ODOBNM)) from DLTLIST

Comment

Other than maintaining the script member (without compiling) which is one sell-point for RUNSQLSTM...You do have the DECLARE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE stmt which can and does use a SELECT statement to create temporary files (in Qtemp) and the script can have multiple SQL stmts...You can create a temp table, populated or not, insert into it, update it, delete from it...Am I missing anything you can do in interactive SQL otherwise...???

Comment

Working...
          X