** This thread discusses the article: Reduce Indicator Usage **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Reduce Indicator Usage0

Reduce Indicator Usage

Is it possible to receive a copy of this source code? Thanks. Steve Neely

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

Is it possible to receive a copy of this source code? Thanks. Charles Pascoe.

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

This is a good alternative if you do not use DSPATR(PC). In our shop DSPATR(RI) always uses the same indicator as DSPATR(PC). This way, all the fields in error are displayed in RI and the cursor is placed on the first field in error. There is not much benefit in eliminating the conditioning indicator on DSPATR(RI) by using an attribute byte in stead and having to keep the indicator on DSPATR(PC) - the indicator is still there.
        Code

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

You can use the CSRLOC keyword at the record level to position the cursor without an indicator.

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

The ERRMSG keyword will do all of this for you. (DSPATR(RI PC)). Dave

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

Right Dave, but than the keyboard is locked. This is not an option.

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

Yes Daniel, good sollution. The only draw back is that we have to lookup (and update in case the DSPF layout is changed) LINNBR and POSNBR. It would be nice to have CSRLOC(FIELDNAME).

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

MI5, yep, that would be nice. We have a user defined option in PDM that you perform on the RPG source. It gets the DSPF name and then creates table entries for the fields from the screen. Then a standard subroutine fille in the values based on the field name. Since you have to have some place in the code to determine error message, etc, it's all done in the same place. Just call the function with the field name and the cursor position fields are loaded. -dan

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

Someone please explain to me why bit-fiddling is superior to indicators? I remember doing this kind of coding (with BITON and BITOFF instead of BIFs) 20 years ago. I thought programming was supposed to be getting easier and more self-explanatory, not more geared to propeller-heads. This approach seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

Here's the code you requested.[file name=6b179e68_code.doc size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b179e68_code.doc[/file]

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

To simplify things you can use SQL to determine if the day is a day in the weekend. Just give the member type SQLRPGLE. I encountered one problem, selecting by putting the cursor on a day and pressing Enter works for me but double-clicking on a day does not work. Then the program thinks F3 is pressed and ends. How can I correct this?
                        Code

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

Make sure your emulator is set up to allow mouse actions. For iSeries Access Personal Communications Workstation Program 5.5: Bring up the Hotspots Setup: Menu Edit|Preferences|Hotspots. On Point-and-Select Hotspots, make sure nn is unchecked (You probably double-clicked on a day of 3, which your emulator interpreted as F3). Make sure both Point-and-Select Commands are unchecked. HTH

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

It 's working.

Comment

Reduce Indicator Usage

Where can I learn more about the %Bitor operations? I know this question sounds silly but I have not used this and not able to find this in the IBM Manuals.

Comment

Working...
                              X