Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of Cozzi: Find and Replace

** This thread discusses the article: Best of Cozzi: Find and Replace **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Best of Cozzi: Find and Replace **

Best of Cozzi: Find and Replace

This tool is wonderful...will it work for COBOL pgms also?

Comment

All that code, what a waste! You could have done the same thing using just a few java functions. You suck Cozzi! I'm the man... Bubba!!!

Comment

Why on earth (whether you agreed with the methods or not) would you attack anyone who shared a productivity tool? Such actions are beneath contempt. Dave

Comment

bubba wrote: "You could have done the same thing using just a few java functions." Heck, in languages like Perl and Python, search and replace is a one-liner without the need for any 3rd party code. Probably a lot faster in those languages too. Look at the 32000A VARYING return values from some of those procs. They've got to hurt performance pretty bad!

Comment

I think bubba is more interested in his performance than the computer's performance. rd

Comment

No Ralph, I’m tired of seeing people who are supposed to be experts in the industry, try to pass off their outdated code as something great, or a “Gift”, as Cozzi likes to put it. He’s the one that sent me the email, so how’s about showing us something new. Take another look at Cozzi’s code. Here’s my list of what is wrong. No free format. Why not? Not that free format is anything great, but it’s the latest and greatest the RPG coders have. These old timers need to get with the program. He’s still using indicators. Also, did anyone ever teach him about the 1 entry and 1 exit point rule for procedures? It’s a basic design principle for procedural programming. Finally, what’s up with Cozzi’s picture? It’s been the same photo for the past 10 years… Dude, post a new one… the one showing your balding head. Bubba

Comment

Where ya been, O Great Bubba. Bubba's my hero, Bubba's the Greatest. Bubba likes chicken, I must like chicken too. Bubba says jump off the bridge, I must jump off too. We really enjoyed your little code bombs, after you left. And you are talking about wasted code? Still setting the world on fire? Craig

Comment

Craig, what's up dude? you still at stei? I'm still up in WI, but my contract is almost up, so I just started looking at jobs around the Gulf Coast area.

Comment

The last thing I saw as I walked to the elevator on the way out was a group of Indians hanging around the coffee pot. It was a thing of beauty. They bought a .net package for A/R and Oracle to replace Harris. They gonna sex up the IT dept and probably the next thing you will read about em is they no longer exist after they get gobbled up. JMHO I landed in TN, its the Greatest.

Comment

No Ralph, I’m tired of seeing people who are supposed to be experts in the industry, try to pass off their outdated code as something great, or a “Gift”, as Cozzi likes to put it. Whoa! and this all because he didn't rewrite the code in free before he posted it? If someone wants it in free, they can rewrite it. Or write it better themselves. Will they post it here as he did? I say let the code speak for itself, and his is the only RPG talking. rd

Comment

It should. See the ILE COBOL Programmer's Guide for details on calling RPG procedures from COBOL. Mark

Comment

hardly seems so, to me. while i am one of the last persons to support something, simply because it was written by a specific indiviual, politeness and objectivity should rule, in order to maintain civility. the "gentlemen spies" of the cold-war era are excellent examples. while there were there multiple attempts (sucessful and otherwise) to penetrate the defences and intelligence organisations of each other's enemy country, civility ruled. you knew you were expendible and hung out to dry, but it was done politely. you have to take into context that the majority of RPG programmers do not have access to, or in many cases, knowledge of java, html, etc. by providing an RPG process, albeit written in RPG/III, that is helpful, you do what a "tool maker" does. create a tool that is useful. for those of us who write 99% /free, we can adjust fire and rewrite and probably learn something in the process. if you have another solution, provide it and let it be judged or you are just being a blow-hard. dont be like mr. kerry who said "if elected presidident, i will give you my solution to the iraq conflict." well, he lost and has been such a sore loser that he has not shared his wealth of intellect and strategery with us poor common folk. dont make the same mistake and expect to maintain a good reputation. -sarge

Comment

Well Bubba, At least there ain't no GOTO's in the code! Tom.

Comment

Sarge, Don't be too hard on Bubba, I think it was the proximity to all that depleted uranium in the air. ( he should have learned from Clinton and not inhaled) And Sarge, we haven't met, so thanks for your service to our Country. And I am thankful that we have Cozzi's out there too. All tools that work are accepted. And Bubba, lighten up man, or I'll tell on you....if these nice people knew that you like to mix up a little Java, a little /free, a little open source/ and a whole lotta Input Primaries with your Cycle....well then.... Thanks again to you Sarge, and you too Bubba, Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X