Retrieving DDS field descriptions in RPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving DDS field descriptions in RPG

How about querying file QADBIFLD or one of its logicals ?

There is. In fact, I wrote an article about this for Midrange Computing several years ago. I no longer have that article, but you can get the article and the working code/utility in the book:

AS/400 Desktop Encyclopedia of Tips, Techniques and Programming Practices - http://www.mc-store.com/5027.html

which you can get right on this website.

This utility will retrieve the entire DDS for you and place it into the source member/file of your choice. Very handy for when you've lost DDS Source or you never had it in the first place.

Comment

Open two sessions, if use Client Access, then copy & paste as needed. Of course you'll have to make the required changes.

Comment

You can use the API QUSLFLD to retrieve all of a files field descriptions into a user space and then use QUSRTVUS to retrieve each of the fields details one by one from the user space until you reach the field you're interested in.

Comment

Here is an idea, use embeddes sql to do a select into a variable from Qys2/systable or syscoloumn files. It should be very do able. Malik

Comment

The attached file contains sources and setup instructions for utility programs which display windows showing 1. A physical file's dependent logicals, 2. A file's field descriptions. When in SEU, positioning the cursor on the F-spec and pressing F7 shows the database relations window, F8 shows the Field Descriptions window. If a logical is passed to the DBR program the based on physical is used. Entries in the windows can be selected to display a window containing 1. The key fields or 2. The select/omit definitions. Very handy when looking for an alternative logical. Both the DBR and FFD windows can also be called from a command line, passing the file name as a parameter. See Setup.txt for implementation instructions. Best regards, Stuart

dbr.zip

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone I'm all set now.

Comment

Is there a way to retrieve the DDS field description (COLHDG or TEXT) value from a file that is defined on a F-spec in RPG? I have a program that I am writing where I would like to get the value of the TEXT paramter for the fields in a DDS file that I am using. Any feedback would be greatlty appreciated.

Comment

Here is another way to do it.. before you call your rpg program... have a cl run a query like the one below to create a file the query will actually read the member in your library spits it out in a pf. You can then simply read the PF with a RPG program or cl and find out what is the Colhdg. RUNQRY QRYFILE((mylib/qddssrc member)) mylib lets say QGPL member say file1 QDDSSRC is your source file for all your files.(just in case you are hazzy on this part) Happy programming.. Malik t_malik@bellsouth.net

Comment

Working...
                  X